Chapter 32

"I don't know if that's such a good idea," Aleks said. "Shouldn't you attack me?"

"No, that's the right way. When we attack you, it's not as effective as when we attack Bebe. After all, your instinct to protect your mate is far stronger than your self-preservation instinct," Ariana replied.

They had gathered on the large lawn on the coast where Ariana had drawn and positioned a protective barrier. Aleks stood right next to her, enclosed in a small cylindrical protective circle. Belial and Lyric stood in combat gear in the middle, the runic demon topless, so that his runes could be seen.

With a graceful movement, Lyric pulled out two silver Karambit knives, which had a blade length of at least 20 cm and were sharpened on both sides. With his thumbs in the metal loops at the end of the handle, he let them circle elegantly. They were the perfect weapons, as they could swing from his thumbs while still allowing him to use the rest of his hand for his rune magic and to quickly defend himself if needed.

Belial summoned his sword Elyrion and assumed a combat position.

"Let's do this, Belial," Lyric said, licking his lips.

"Show me what you've learned over the last few decades, Shorty," he replied.

Annoyed, Lyric's face became obscured. He hated being called shorty and Belial knew that. "Well, then there will be no mercy, old man." At the same moment, Lyric attacked. He touched two runes on his forearms, which began to glow. Green symbols also began to glow around his legs. Then he sprinted forward and attacked Belial with his knives.

Damn, he has gotten faster. Belial instinctively raised Elyrion and blocked the attack.

The runes had accelerated Lyric's speed by decreasing his body weight. This allowed him to move faster. Then he opened his right hand. The karambit rotated around Lyric's thumb and lifted Belial's sword allowing him to aggressively attack Belial's belly. Belial repelled the attack with the hilt of his sword and withdrew a few steps.

Lyric didn't even think about letting him escape. He kept attacking. He activated a rune on his lower abdomen with his left hand and stroked over his right karambit. The knife began to shine and he hit his friend's sword with full force, obliterating Belial's defense, opening him up for attack. He followed up with a kick to his abdominal area, but his friend saw the attack coming and counter attacked with a two-step turn.

Further attacks followed. But no one conceded. Aleks and Ariana watched the action.

"The fact that Belial and Lyric are so strong despite the restrictions shows that they are true warriors," Ariana said with admiration. "But there is no point in Belial and Lyric being on an equal footing. Let's give Belial a little disadvantage."

Aleks had a bad feeling.

The female demon drew several magical circles in the air. Then she sent them in Belial's direction, one of them hit Belial on the right arm. Lifeless, it went limp, sword still in hand – Ariana had sealed his movement.

Belial cursed and immediately grabbed his sword with his left hand to repel Lyric's next attack.

Aleks looked at Ariana in horror and she smiled contentedly. Belial fought back with only one hand, which led to him suffering several minor injuries.

"Hmmm, that's obviously not enough. Let's try this." She drew a large circle. "I saved this for special occasions." A large fireball appeared in front of the circle, which she had sealed for should this situation arise. She aimed and shot him.

Aleks saw the fireball flying towards his demon. The fire was reflected in his eyes, then the headache set in. He got down on his knees and screamed. He screamed, "Stop! Stop! Stop!" but nothing happened. The fireball raced towards Belial. He was only able to dodge it by throwing himself to the side.