Chapter Seven - Ethan's POV

I'm going to hell.

I know, I've said this many times before, but this time I genuinely believe I might be going. Why had I come to this conclusion? Well, it was simple. I was about to do something terrible to Mia.

 Funny, yes, but still terrible.

I was in math class along with thirty over students, but I was in no way paying attention to whatever Mrs what's-her-face was teaching us. Instead, I had my phone out underneath the table and was lingering over the call button of a particular contact - Mia's contact. 

She wasn't saved as her real name, of course - she was saved as Chubs alongside a little kissy face and a heart. I wasn't too worried about her seeing the hearts and such, figuring she would probably assume it was a poor attempt at me trying to be poke fun. 

After many years of knowing her, I realized I could get away with a lot since she was so stuck on the idea that I hated her.

Anyway, back to the point, I had my phone out because I was prepping myself to call her, but for some reason, I couldn't rack up the nerve to do it. The reason for such was simple, guilt.

 I mean, what if she got in trouble? Or if the teacher confiscated her phone? 

My pranks were only supposed to mildly annoy her, I didn't want her to get her into any real trouble. 

Actually, you know what, it was fine. If the teacher went pyscho on her, I would simply stand up and admit it was my fault.

Before pressing call, I pulled my head up and glanced at her from across the room. The corner of my lip tugged up as I found her frantically scribbling away in her notebook with her eyes practically glued to the board. And, for whatever reason, I found it incredibly cute. 

I'm not sure if it was because I liked how she bit her lips as she worked or how her hand would always play absentmindedly with a loose piece of hair. Or, maybe it was simply because it was her. But whatever it was, it seemed to always have me enraptured. 

Math was one of the few classes I had with her, and as you can imagine, it was one of the few classes I struggled to not let my eyes wander off the board and onto someone else.

Slowly, her rapid writing was brought to a close, and the next minute her head was surveying the room before landing on me.

Shit.

Almost breaking my neck in the process, I jerked my gaze down to my lap before she could catch me.

Feeling the heat of her glare on the side of my face made me have to fight back a smile. As weird as it sounds, I liked when she glared at me. It made me feel special like I meant something to her. Not in a positive way, of course, but still that I meant something. 

When you can't be someone's boyfriend or even their friend, you're only left with two options: enemy or nobody. And the thought of her barely even knowing my name felt way too painful to stomach.

Soon enough, her gaze drifted away and took my excitement with it. What? So, all I'm worthy of is a three-second glare?

Now more determined than ever to gain her attention, I switched my phone screen back on and barely even hesitated before slamming my finger onto the call button.

Then like the piece of shit I was, I angled myself to Mia, leaned back in my chair, and waited for the show to start.

At once, loud music suddenly blasted out through the air and made everyone in the classroom jump.