Chapter Fifteen - Ethan's POV

Staring impatiently outside my car window, I tapped an impatient rhythm against my thigh. I was feeling tense. And the reason for such, all had to do with a certain beautiful, brown-eyed girl who hadn't shown up to school today.

 I knew why she wasn't here; she was sick. Chloe had told me after I had stopped her in the corridor to ask where Mia was. And, ever since Chloe told me, I couldn't stop thinking about her and worrying. 

What if she was cold or had passed out in the bathroom with nobody there to help her? Or, what if she just needed company?

Anxiety turned my stomach once more, as a more solid image of a shivering and uncomfortable Mia came into view.

A sharp clicking sound interrupted my thoughts. Lifting my head, I saw Lucas climb into the passenger seat of my car before settling himself comfortably into my cushy leather seats.

 "Thanks for waiting for me, babe," Lucas called out with a smile as he clicked his seatbelt into place.

 I immediately lifted an eyebrow. "Babe? Is that what we're doing now?" I snickered, a faint smile pulling to my lips. 

Still smiling away, Lucas shrugged. "Yeah? Or would you prefer, Bitch?" he said, blinking away with feigned sincerity.

Turning to face him, the corners of my lips lifted higher. "I'm surprised you even want to call me that, considering you've got yourself a new babe. Have you returned your girlfriend's playsuit to her?" I teased.

 Lucas' face instantly warped to one of embarrassment, and he quickly turned to look back out the window. This only made me laugh harder, loving being the one with the upper hand in the teasing for once. 

 "Actually, hold on, speaking of the party-" Lucas said, turning back to face me. "-let's talk about what you did," Lucas said, giving me a pointed look. 

I immediately froze up.

He stared at me with an unnervingly simple smile. "Come closer, Ethan; I want to tell you something," Lucas said as he gestured me closer.

 Slowly, I narrowed my eyes. "Why?" I asked cautiously. 

"Just come closer," Lucas smiled. 

Though a voice in my head was warning me not to, I leaned a little closer to him.

"Even closer," Lucas said, his voice still eerily calm.

 I moved a bit closer until we were nearly nose to nose. Finding this a bit weird, I awkwardly cleared my throat.

 "No offense Lucas, but this is getting very w-"

My words were sharply cut off as Lucas gave me a harsh slap across the cheek. Grabbing my face, I stared back at him in shock as the sting spread through me. 

"Ouch, man, what the fuck was that for! I cried.

Lucas shrugged as though he had done something completely normal. "For acting like an idiot at the party. It was as embarrassing as fuck," he explained simply.

Still rubbing my cheek in annoyance, I opened my mouth to rebut, but then I slowly closed my mouth when I realized he had a point. Feeling ashamed, I cast my eyes downward. "Yeah, I know...," I trailed off.

Soon enough, Lucas started blabbering on again, and I listened on with a half-amused smile while I drove the familiar route to his house. Once I'd dropped him off, I waved him off and made a move to start back up my car.

 But before I did, I paused as I remembered Mia, who was still likely lying sick and alone at home. Catching view of my phone up on the dashboard, I couldn't stop myself from grabbing it and flicking my way over to Mia's contact.