Chapter Fifty

After finishing up in the bathroom, I strode quietly back into my shared room to find Mia sitting by the edge of her small bed staring off into space. My brows furrowed in concern as I looked over her.

It had been an hour since dinner, and she'd been acting weird ever since. She laughed with me throughout dinner and was still cracking her normal teasing jokes but there was something else there. She was worried about something. I could tell.

She was extra fidgety compared to earlier today, and I she could tell she was thinking hard about something. But what, was the question.

I hoped what she was worried about had nothing to do with me, but that nagging, annoying voice in my head told me that it was. It would kill me if I'd somehow managed to find a small way to fuck up already.

I cleared my throat softly. "Hey, are you feeling alright?" I asked as I walked my way closer. Mia turned to me in surprise, jolted from her thoughts as I took a seat by her at the edge of her bed.

The distant, ghostly look that had been swirling beneath the depths of her brown eyes faded, as she locked eyes with me. Her expression brightened, and she gave me a quick smile.

"Yeah, of course, I'm alright, why'd you ask?" she replied smoothly.

I let my eyes work over her features, studying her carefully. I could tell the smile on her face was genuine, but it was still obvious that from her sudden change in demeanour, she was hiding something.

I felt a sting in my chest, realizing that probably meant she didn't fully trust me yet.

I turned so I was more fully facing her, then licked my lips nervously before speaking. "I don't know, you've just been weirdly quiet since you talked to April. What did you guys even talk about?"

I knew my question was perhaps a little bold since the conversation between them was clearly supposed to be private but I could no longer hold myself back from asking. The conversation between her and April just gave me this bad feeling inside, considering how weird Mia started acting after.

Had April told her something rude about me? Some nasty rumour concerning me perhaps? I knew I was probably being nuts like always, and it was likely nothing, but I wanted to be sure.

Mia shrugged her easy-going smile not leaving her face. "Nothing important, just girly stuff," she answered.

I swopped my gaze up and down her one last final time, before deciding to drop it. She wasn't even upset - I was being ridiculous.

Officially done with grilling her with questions, I decided to lighten the mood and let my lips curve into an amused smile.

"Ooo, girly stuff, how intriguing, tell me more," I teased, waggling my eyebrows slightly for effect.

I no doubt looked like a dork but as I saw her grin peak in, followed by the beautiful sound of her laughter, I knew I'd made the right choice.

"You're such an idiot," she chuckled, before grabbing a hold of a pillow and whacking me with it.

I chuckled low. "Okay, fine keep your precious secrets," I muttered teasingly as I rose to my feet.

Making my way on a path to my luggage, an idea of how I could have some fun crossed my mind causing my lips to tug up into a smirk. It was an idea that would hopefully get Mia to crawl right where she belonged tonight. In my bed.

Girlfriend or not, I knew if I wanted a one-hundred percent guarantee of persuading Mia into my bed tonight, I was going to have to play dirty.

With that thought in mind, I reached for the bottom of my top with a smile and started slowly sliding the material up my back. A chill spun up my spine, as my naked torso met the cool air.