Chapter 62

Warning: This chapter contains discussion of sexual assault. 

---------------------

I groaned, and stirred, the distant hum of conversation, and beeping machinery, drawing me into consciousness. My mind felt foggy and slow as I turned my head slowly against the soft surface below me. I tried slowly to open my eyes and winced under the blinding bright light overhead.

"Ethan?" A voice said gently as a hand moved to rest gently over my wrist.

My mind spun, and I blinked away the haze, the rhythmic beeping around me picking up pace. As my vision cleared, I found myself surrounded by light and lying in what looked like a crisp and white hospital bed. I turned to my side and saw a middle-aged nurse jotting down notes on a paper. She looked up at me and smiled.

"Hi, Ethan, I'm glad to see you're awake, the doctor's just been with you. Are you feeling okay? Any nausea? Headache? Dizziness? Pain?" She rattled off as she came to my side, and poured a drink into a little plastic cup from a nearby trolley.

"Bet you're thirsty," she said as she handed me over the cup.

"Erm...yeah, thanks, and I'm okay," I stuttered as I took hold of the cup. My throat felt like sandpaper, and I took about four overly enthusiastic gulps, shocked by how thirsty I was.

I looked in disorientation around the room, taking in the pale cream walls, and the pristine floors. My eyes dropped to my hand taking note of the line in my hand, which was hooked up to a fluid bag hanging up overhead.

What on earth had happened to me?

I turned to the nurse, who seemed busy changing the settings on one of the machines. I cleared my throat softly. "Hi....erm...do you know why I'm-

"You're stable enough for visitors if you'd like. I'd be happy to send them in, they're quite eager to see you I imagine, after everything," she said with a soft smile interrupting me.

After everything?

I looked blankly at her for a second. "Unless you'd rather rest?" she asked.

"Oh no, please send them in," I interrupted quickly.

"Excellent," she smiled. "I'll go tell the doctor and I'm sure she'll grab them on her way, okay."

"Erm..okay," I mumbled, despite the panicked confusion that was slowly overtaking my mind.

She marched forward and left through the door with a small smile goodbye, leaving me alone.

In the silence of the room, I sat up slowly in bed, observing the stiff hospital gown shrouding my body. I tried for the life of me to remember how I could have possibly ended up in hospital, but my mind came up empty. 

All I remembered were random details of being at the party. I sure as hell remembered Mia climbing into my lap and kissing me – pigs would fly before I would forget something as sexy as that.

Just as I was adjusting the fluid line coming out of my hand, I heard the sound of the door swinging open.

"Probably shouldn't mess around with that, Ethan, I'm pretty sure it's keeping you alive," a familiar voice called out in amusement.

I lifted my eyes, and as suspected locked eyes with Lucas who was smiling gently, the whites of his eyes slightly tinged red. It almost looked like he'd been crying, which was impossible, Lucas rarely cried.

Standing off to the side of him was Mia looking as beautiful as ever, while her eyes searched over mine frantically. I noticed immediately she was wearing my jersey, causing a natural smile to lift to my lips.