Chapter Eighteen - Ethan's POV

Mia froze in place the moment my words were spoken. Those expressive brown eyes of hers, wide and guilty, darted all around in a clear panic at being caught. It was adorable.

Finally, the tension in her body released. "Well, in my defense. I didn't know you were only going to stay inside for like thirty seconds..."

My lip twitched upward. "I forgot my phone in my car," I lied with a simple shrug.

 It wasn't in my car, but I figured it was a better answer than explaining that I'd purposely backtracked because I was so excited to confirm whether or not she was stalking me.

"Also," I laughed. "If you're going to follow someone, you should probably wait a few minutes before getting out of your car," I teased, my eyes fanning over hers in amusement.

Looking me up and down, her eyebrows pulled together. "How come you're not mad at me?" She asked, her head tilting slightly.

Her question nearly made me laugh. Why the fuck would I be mad that she'd taken an interest in me? For heaven's sake, I'd been breaking my back to try and get her to notice me for six long years. If that interest came in the form of her tailing my car, then heck, I'd take it.

Not wanting her to think I was insane, I calmed myself down a little and shrugged. "I think I've expressed my anger enough for one day," I mumbled. "And besides," I smiled. "I find it hard to be mad at you," I admitted honestly as my eyes danced softly back and forth between hers.

As if to further emphasize my point, Mia's lips slipped into a loose beautiful smile, her eyes shimmering merrily.

"So..," Mia sang as she started to rock awkwardly back and forth on her heels. "What are you up to-"

I instantly let out a snort, which soon drifted into a chuckle. "You're not subtle, Chubs. I know you're just trying to figure out why I was fighting Connor," I said flatly.

She flashed me a guilty smile. "Maybe..."

Seeing her standing there, all kind-eyed and expectant, made me humor the idea of telling her. I wanted to, but there was just this nagging worry in my mind that kept insisting that once she knew, she'd run. And I couldn't lose her; not yet.

"I'll tell you one day, okay. Just not today," I explained softly.

To my relief, she nodded her head, not pushing the topic of Connor further. "Can I at least know why you're here?" she asked hesitantly, clearly assuming she was treading on fragile ground.

My first impulse was to say no, terrified of her viewing me as crazy, but deciding this was a good stepping stone to telling her the full truth, I shifted nervously in place.

 "I...er...I...have to go to counseling because of my anger. You witnessed first-hand this morning what happens when I don't keep it in check," I explained with a harsh chuckle, hardly able to maintain her gaze.

"Oh," Mia said, blinking back at me in surprise.

Her reaction did nothing but confirm my fears, and letting out a long groan, I ran a hand frustratedly through my hair. "You think I'm a nut-case, don't you?" I mumbled. 

Looking up nervously, I expected her to be looking me over in a slight judgmental manner, but she wasn't. Instead, she maintained my gaze before letting her eyes soften. 

"No, of course not," she explained gently. "I don't think there's anything remotely nutty about trying to improve yourself. What kind of friend would I be if I judged you for not being perfect, huh?" Then, with light and touching eyes, she smiled at me in that way only she could. In a way, that always seemed to have me feeling like a love-struck fool.