Chapter Twenty-Seven - Ethan's POV

Pulling my car down Mia's Street, I already felt myself smiling slightly. I couldn't really help it – there was just something about knowing I was going to spend an entire afternoon alone with Mia that lifted a natural smile to my face.

We only came back yesterday from my trip to my grandma's but despite that fact, I still decided that today was the day, I was going to give her self-defense lessons.

Though a small part of me was motivated to do it only because I liked the idea of having Mia pinned underneath me, the sensible side of me was doing it because I was genuinely scared for her safety.

It honestly scared the shit out of me that she wasn't even close to pushing me off when I was straddling her the other day. It had taken far too little effort to overpower her, and it made me feel sick. I wasn't stupid and I knew full well there were much stronger guys than me out there and if God forbid one of them got it in their mind to hurt her, she'd be powerless. I swallowed painfully hard as I considered that terrifying possibility.

With that last thought resting on my mind, I felt more determined than ever to teach her some techniques. Slowing down as I passed by her house, I carefully scanned her drive for any sign of her dad's car. Finding no signs of it anyway, I felt like I could fully breathe again.

I wasn't stupid enough to try and hang out with her while he was still there. There was a reason why I always insisted she come to my house to study. That man wanted me dead, and I fear as a registered police officer he could make that happen.

To play it even safer, I made sure to park a couple houses away on the opposite side of the road.

Once I was safely parked, I hopped out of the car and made my way over to her house. As I got closer to the door, I heard the loud sound of music playing from inside. It was some kind of sassy Beyonce song, and from how clearly I could hear each line being played, I knew without a doubt that the music had me turned all the way up to Max.

I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face, already knowing it was Mia's doing. Despite the noise, I rang the bell and after waiting for several seconds, I was met with nothing. The music hadn't lowered so it was pretty obvious she hadn't heard me. I tried again, but this time with a loud triple knock. After a couple of seconds, I was still met with nothing. Officially fed up, I let out a heavy sigh and fished deep into my pocket for another one of Mia's stolen bobby pin's so I could try and break my way in again.

Hey, you can't say I didn't at least try to be a good person this time....

Once I successfully got the lock to click into place, I pushed the door open and let myself in. Now inside, the music sounded close to deafening, and it was no fucking wonder at all she couldn't hear me.

Making my way to the stairs, I took them two at a time as I headed my way up to Mia's room. I took a left once I reached the top, and was going to continue onwards to her room, but something made me stop in my tracks. Almost immediately, the widest of smiles washed over my face and I eagerly strode my way to the edge of her bedroom door to get a better look.

Mia's door was cracked open enough to give me a clear view of her, and fuck, was she creating a show. Mia was dancing on the opposite side of the room in front of her mirror, in what had to be the most distracting manner known to man. I could hardly pull my eyes away from my hips as she rolled them around to the time of the music.

To make it even better, Mia was wearing the tiniest of black elastic shorts. Fuck me...

Tilting my head, I leaned against the doorframe and watched some more while still smiling away. From all the ponytail whips and excessive body rolls, it was pretty obvious she was trying to be sexy, and she was more than succeeding that's for fucking sure. She looked hot!