Chapter Forty-Five

Mia's eyes narrowed into sharpened narrowed slits as she scanned my position sitting back on the bed beside hers. It was undeniable that she was confused. Minutes ago, on the coach, I'd just been passionately ignoring her, and now here I sat on what was supposed to be her best friend's bed, confidently declaring we'd now be sharing a room.

I looked nuts.

"What do you mean, it's our room?" she said, her voice striking up slightly.

I swallowed nervously against my throat realizing I might have been a little presumptuous in thinking she'd automatically be cool with sharing a room with me just because she wanted us to be friends again.

Neutralizing my expression, I swiftly rolled my eyes. "It wasn't my idea, Lucas kicked me out of my room and replaced me with May. If you've got a problem with it, take it out with him," I said in justification before quickly going back to look at my phone.

I wanted to look bored, and disinterested; like I hardly even cared that I was sharing a room with her. It's no biggie, really. Sure, she's insanely attractive, and was likely going to be sleeping in the bed beside me in tiny little sleeping shorts and a camisole but that didn't mean anything.

I was mature and controlled now, and I would not look at Mia Collins in any way that wasn't appropriate. I also definitely wasn't going to think about her when she was showering...or imagine what it would feel like to have her tucked up in my bed beside me...or...

Never mind, you get the point.

Mia's brows furrowed, and she made an irritative step towards the door, muttering something rude about Lucas and May under her breath. My heart leaped up in a panic, realizing she was on her way to yell at them so she wouldn't have to share with me. As shameful and stupid as it was, a part of me at that moment genuinely wanted to grab her hand and demand she stay.

She'd barely made a full step before she suddenly paused, and turned back to look at me. The look in her eyes made my stomach dip especially when she swallowed, and let her gaze drift lingeringly up and down my body. I could see the cogs of her brain slowly turning as she continued to stare.

Holy shit, was she checking me out? Do not smile, Ethan. Don't you dare fucking smile. You don't care that she's checking you out.

By some stroke of miracle, I managed to stop my mouth from twitching upward and watched her clear her throat sharply and move slowly away from the door and towards me. Something had clearly made her change her mind about telling off Lucas, and May.

I stiffened slightly as she took a seat at the end of the bed. "But what if the teachers find out...," she asked cautiously, her eyes swimming over mine slowly.

"Relax, miss goody-two-shoes, the teachers aren't allowed to come in the cabin unless they knock, which gives us plenty of time to swap back," I explained with a lazy roll of my eyes.

I tried to seem unbothered but in reality, I was scared shit at the possibility of getting caught which was a very real possibility. But for some stupid, idiotic reason, I wanted to take the risk.

"I suppose that's true...," Mia murmured slowly. There was a pause, and Mia's eyes continued to dance around my face, in a way that distracted me.

I once again, cleared my throat and returned my eyes back to my phone and away from distraction.

Mia Collins was not going to make me soft.

A short while later after everyone had settled into the cabins and gone to dinner, our cabin went on a quick pointless walk around the camp before settling ourselves down on the grass by the lake.