Chapter Forty-six

I clutched her in a tightly possessive hold as I lifted her through the doorway of the cabin. My eyes still burned from the remnants of tears, my body still not quite processing that she was truly safe, alive, and hadn't left me.

Images of her lifeless body flashed to my mind from just a few minutes ago, gnawed at me, and made me hold on to her tighter. The images never made me want to let her go.

She'd made it clear a while ago with her words, she'd never accept me as a boyfriend, but I'd take any other damn role she'd give me – friend, neighbor, her annoying sidekick whatever. As long as I got to keep seeing that smile of hers, I'd be okay.

Once shrouded in the warmth of the cabin, I made quick steps towards the sofa and gently lowered her down onto the surface. It's not exactly where I wanted her. If there was no risk of looking insane, I'd probably have tucked her straight into my bed for the night and climbed in right after her.

Once I quickly propped a pillow behind her, I leaned back to look at her. She shivered slightly as I moved away from her, and as my eyes darted up and down her body, I remembered she was still soaked to the skin.

I immediately rushed off to the bathroom and quickly returned with a towel in hand. She looked up at me wide-eyed, and I wasted no time before wrapping the towel snuggly around her.

"What about you?" Mia asked with a frown, as she tugged the ends of the towel more snugly around herself.

"I'm fine," I said immediately.

Mia's eyes went all soft. "But...."

"I said, I'm fine," I stated more firmly this time, cutting her off. I refused to let her worry about me after she literally almost died. She should be worrying about herself and herself alone.

Before Mia could debate me any further, the doors to the cabin burst open. Chloe and May immediately came barrelling into the room and ran full speed towards Mia, and nearly body-tackled me out of the way in their urgency to get to her.

Throwing themselves down on the ground, they engulfed Mia in a tight hug that immediately had the corners of my lips tugging up into a smile.

Mia let out a light giggle and just as eagerly hugged them back.

They soon all pulled away. "God, that was so scary. I thought you were dead," Chloe said as tears started streaming freely down her face.

Mia's face fell, guilt swarming her features. "I'm so sorry for worrying you guys, I'm such an idiot," she mumbled.

I bit my tongue, holding myself back from agreeing with her that what she did was stupid. Anything that even mildly risked her life, was stupid.

May, clearly a lot less salty than me, threw Mia a soft smile, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "We're just glad you're okay," she mumbled as she squeezed her hand.

Okay, that I more than definitely agreed with.

Mia smiled once more before swinging herself up into a seated position. "I think I'm going to have a shower, I smell disgusting," she laughed as she stood to her feet.

Woah, woah, woah, no.

My brain might as well have started chanting danger, danger, with flashing lights as soon as Mia mentioned shower. Slippery floors, her recent loss of consciousness, and being alone all screamed danger.

I quickly intercepted her once she had got her clothes from the bedroom and was on her way to the bathroom door. I blocked the door before she could reach it, forcing her to come to a stop.