Chapter 22

They reacted fast.

The report they got on their terminals demanded quick actions, readiness. The nearest patrol from the place of intervention needed back up and calling them in was uncompromising – a person with negotiation skills was needed.

That's why Niles and Gavin left the police department in quick steps.

'You're driving,' Gavin said, putting the car keys into the android's hands.

On their way, the detective slipped a bulletproof vest on himself and thanks to that they didn't waste any time.

A chaos was waiting for them. From what the police officers at the place got to tell them concluded that the woman with a gun threatened to shoot her husband who cheated on her perfidiously. They didn't know the whole story, they couldn't precisely judge the situation but there was another thing. Well, another person. A shot girl, they had no idea if she was alive or not. The armed woman didn't let anyone come near her, check on her vital functions so despite the fact no one there believed in God, only prayers were left for the girl to not die.

The police was called by a neighbour, who heard a single shot after screams coming out the flat.

Since that moment, a few solid minutes have passed and Niles knew breaking the law with the sirens on was unnecessary.

He scanned Gavin when they got out to make sure everything was fine.

'I can't fucking believe these things still happen,' the detective murmured under his nose, leading into the building.

'Unfortunately,' Niles answered, clicking the gun's safety off when it found its way into his hand.

The corridor led to a few flats but they were sure which one was their goal. Yells leaving it through the open door were enough for them to rush there in belief it was the right place.

A few individuals outside, who were listening into the situation didn't help, only creating an artificial and not needed crowd. An apparent concern on their faces was also useless when they could simply return to their safe houses.

'Disperse, for fuck's sake!' Reed said, gaining the civilians' attention.

As on cue they stepped away, made more space, though none of them came back to their flats.

'Find a safe place to hide,' Niles announced firmly, looking at them with a warning in eyes.

Not waiting any longer for their reaction, they both entered the house with their pistols pulled out in front, looking around. They had to be extremely cautious and find the place where all the commotion's begun.

Slowly, though rather quickly they went in the direction where they heard desperate begging and talking. The officers' screams to put the gun down caught their attention as well.

They eventually made it into the room, more specifically a bedroom, their guns turned in the woman's direction. She held the man close to herself, almost covering herself with his body, using him as a shield and assurance no one would shoot her. On the floor nearby, a girl was lying with a bullet stuck in her arm where blood flooded out from, making kind of big crimson puddle. She was visibly unconscious.

'Get out! I'll shoot!' The woman screamed, pressing the gun harder to the man's temple.

Niles turned his attention to her when he confirmed with a quick scan the girl in the floor was still alive.

In the woman's eyes was clearly fear but the anger was stronger than any other emotion. The man in her steel embrace was paralysed, his gaze full of panic. Unsaid begging when he looked at Gavin and Niles made him act without any delay.