Chapter 18

Their first date was in a cafe, one of those androids friendly, serving many kinds of coffee based on thirium. A chance to try a drink their partners consumed in inhuman amounts was somewhat exciting for them both. It was friday evening. They ended today's shift and in good moods went out.

When Connor said Hank what his conversation from two days ago with Niles was about, his expression was telling. He wasn't mad. He wasn't happy neither. He didn't accept this. But he tried not to comment on it, because Connor was in charge of his own fate. If he was supposed to learn, it'd be the best to do on his own mistakes, not by getting rid of dangers on his way. He could take care of himself, he was an “adult” and had his own mind.

A waitress brought them their order and smiled. Connor returned the gesture and fully focused on Niles, when the girl left.

“You know, I was thinking about the name ‘Nines’ you're calling me,” Niles started. “Does it do anything with my model number or...?”

“In some way, yes. It's also pretty similar to your name.”

“Right,” he said. He took his coffee. “If I call you ‘Eight’, would it be weird?”

Connor raised the mug to his lips.

“Not, it's quite a cute name,” he admitted with a smile and sipped his coffee. “As cute as ‘Con’,” he murmured.

He turned his face away, feeling heat on his cheeks, which changed from slight pink into sky blue.

“Oh...” Niles choked out, however a satisfied smile appeared on his face. “I don't know how it came out.”

Connor chuckled nervously, turning his head to him again.

“Do you like it?” He asked, seeing Niles finally tried his coffee.

“Yes, I still can't believe people really initiated production of drinks and food androids can consume,” he said, looking at his cappuccino.

“I can't believe, either. They really seem to be positive about our people.”

“There are still a lot of protests and people who don't see us as equals,” Niles stated, a note of disappointment in his voice.

“Not everybody has to. It's enough if we respect each other.”

“That's right, too.”

Connor smiled happily at him. Niles couldn't resist his own smile, when he saw the other android so joyful.

He loved his smile.

At the beginning he didn't even think he'd be so glad every time he saw him smile this way at him.

At the beginning he didn't even have his consciousness, he was a nobody.

And he was sitting there now. Across Connor. Waiting for him to feel the same.

He thought about asking a question he assumed could be slightly uncomfortable, but he wanted to know the answer. He was curious, nothing wrong about it.

“Eight?”

Connor hummed in return.

“You said, at the parking lot, you were in the Zen Garden,” he started, watching Connor's expression didn't change. It was a good sign. “I thought there isn't Amanda's AI anymore.”

“Oh!” Connor's face flashed in understanding. He grinned. “It's true, she's not there,” he admitted, glancing out the window. “I made another code.”

Niles raised an eyebrow, tilting his head. Another code? Now, he was more curious and planned on asking further.

“Is it a real person?”