Chapter 11

Sometimes shadows of a previous life follow you till the end, from time to time attacking, so you can remember what monster you were. Often, they hide in the dark, waiting for a proper moment, hardly ever showing mercy. They cause lots of pain, suffering, as well as numbness and indifference. Then, you begin to doubt your own choices and you wonder, how did it happen you ended up in that good place, after all you did?

Connor expected that one day someone would finally come for a revenge, for what he has ruthlessly done as the deviant hunter. He knew, someone would ambush to him someday.

Eventually, the day has come.

"You're Connor?" He heard, on his way to Markus' house.

The android, WE900 model, came out of an alleyway, carefully watching Connor, holding her one hand behind her back. Her voice sounded hostile, her eyes were narrowed angrily.

"The deviant hunter?" She sneered, when he didn't answered.

He turned towards her.

"I didn't use this title in a long time," he said calmly, but somewhere deep scared.

The android pulled a gun out, from behind her back, and with her trembling hand pointed it at Connor's head.

"But it doesn't change what you've done to Daniel!"

Connor widened his eyes, an image of the falling blond appeared in front of his gaze. He raised his arms to show this girl he had no interest in harming her, even if she pointed a gun at him.

"I was a mindless machine, accomplishing its mission!"

"It doesn't change anything!" She yelled, coming closer to Connor.

There were people around, but no one intervened and Connor didn't blame them, after all the android had a weapon. They were scared she would shot them.

"Put your gun down," he said quietly, but confident, sending an urgent message to DPD.

He was afraid he wouldn't take care of it himself, he needed help. He looked her in the eyes, when she came another step closer, tightening her grip on the gun.

"So you can arrest me? No way!" She answered angered, her face curved in rage.

"No, but if you shoot me, they'll search you in my memory and find you. You'll enjoy your freedom only a little longer."

"I don't care! I want to avenge Daniel, I don't have to live any longer."

"If you'd really want to kill me, you'd have done that already," he said reasonably, starting to shake from emotions.

It's just begun to come across his mind, he could die before any coworker would arrive here. All memories returned to him at once.

"You're right," she admitted after a second.

She gritted her teeth and Connor, like in slow motion, saw her pulling the trigger. He heard a shot and in his view showed up a warning about shutting down in one and a half of minute. Another warning informed about damaged thirium pump, but if she would shoot it, he would have less time. She had to miss and not hit it in the middle, what gave him least hope that maybe someone will arrive, before his systems will deactivate. He fell on his knees, looking at the damaged biocomponent.

He heard another shot, but he didn't see more warnings. In his sight, the WE900 android fell on the ground. She committed suicide and Connor started to feel guilty.

He heard police car's sirens and someone put their hands on his shoulders.

"Connor, hey, Connor!"