Chapter 2

The same day, around four o'clock, when the silence in the department was like never before, an android came inside, the one Connor was waiting for so long, that when he saw him, he almost fell from chair. He clearly was looking for something, because he was looking around and was probably analysing the room. Eventually, he started to walk calmly and without any expression towards Anderson's partner.

“Oh, shit, he looks almost...” Hank started, he couldn't believe what he saw.

“Like me.”

They went quiet when the android approached them.

“You must be Connor,” he said directly, not introducing himself.

“Yes, it's me,” he stated, standing up so RK900 couldn't look down at him.

It didn't work how Connor wanted to, but he didn't feel so small like just a moment ago.

“I have an order to replace you.”

His sight was cold and frightening.

“What's your name?”

“My name is Niles, I'm android-detective.”

After watching him carefully, Connor noticed bright, blue eyes and unfriendly face frowning all the time. They were looking in each other's eyes for a second, probably trying to show neither of them will step aside. Maybe they looked similar but their personalities were totally different. RK900's aura was scary, Connor didn't want to keep him company.

He sat down quietly and answered:

“Well, too bad, Fowler's not gonna fire me.”

“CyberLife probably won't be happy. They're going to shut you down.”

Connor turned his face away. He didn't want to look at this android.

“Hey, hey, hey, no one's gonna shut Connor down, now move yourself and get the fuck out,” Hank interfered.

RK900, confident, glanced at lieutenant, nodded and sat down on free chair near them. Connor couldn't believe he was so unlucky he had to deal with Niles.

With this thought, he covered his face with hands. What if Jeffrey changes his mind and will fire him? He made mistakes, which his newer model wouldn't make. Connor should let Niles replace him and obediently return to CyberLife. But his feelings and fact Hank probably would break down, made it impossible to make up his mind. He glanced at lieutenant who was just looking at files in hope to find some clues.

“We have here a madman who decided to do some rituals...”

Hank pointed at Connor's terminal.

“Look at it yourself.”

The android quickly checked the files and analysed them. Red circle made with normal chalk, in which center of was placed human head. Real, so it meant, the culprit could be unpredictable. The rest of the body wasn't found.

“A normal red chalk, you can buy it anywhere. I once read a criminal book, in which some guy used something, what could be found only in Cyprus. It narrowed down suspect pool, and here? No clues, no corpse... dammit, what a swamp.”

“Right, has victim been identified?”

“House's owner name is Charlotte Frost. Her profile is consent whit what we found on the crime scene.”

Connor frowned, wondering what they could do next.

“What about her relatives?”

“None.”