Chapter 9

Cool air embraced Connor's face when he left the police department. He put his dark coat on, fixed its collar and put his hands in pockets. Niles stood beside him and watched the surroundings with his full attention. Hank patted Connor's back and said quiet "good luck", which gained constarnated look from the android, making the man laugh. Anderson got in his car and drove away, leaving Connor with Niles.

They walked the same way as last time, sunset complimented their faces, adding them warm shades. Niles enjoyed Connor's company, even if he could see this wasn't mutual.

The weather didn't matter to androids, but fresh, moist air was nice and made a specific climate.

"I know we didn't start things in a good way," Niles said, "but I'd like to fix that, just tell me how."

Connor looked up at him.

"I don't know, Nines. I don't know if I can be friends with you."

"I will try to change that."

Connor shook his head. He didn't know, if he even wanted a friendship with Niles. The android seemed to be honest though, and that guided Connor to a question, which was in his head for a few days. He just wasn't sure, if he could ask.

"Nines... Sorry I'm asking, but have you broken the red wall?"

They both stopped on an empty path in the park. They watched each other for a moment in silence. Niles shaked his head unsurely.

"Is that it? You want me to become a deviant?" He asked, tilting his head.

"It's not what I said."

Connor looked away, folding his arms. He didn't look at the other android, because he didn't want him to see his disappointed face. Yes, he wanted him to finally open his eyes, to actually feel something. But nobody said that he didn't feel anything yet, Connor since the beginning showed some emotions too, even if he had them programmed. The fact that they weren't only codes later, is a different thing. Niles was in a similar situation and his feelings that looked honest, weren't exactly real.

The android reached his hand towards Connor, showing a white metal underneath the artificial skin.

"In that case, help me break the wall, CyberLife can't threaten you anymore," he said, forcing him to look in his eyes.

The older one furrowed his brows, looking at his face, then uncertainly took his forearm, pulling the artificial skin off as well.

"Are you sure? Don't you want to do it yourself?"

Niles shook his head.

"I'll be glad, if you help me."

The cold grey eyes met those friendly brown ones.

And the height difference wasn't really so big, in reality it almost didn't exsist.

Connor glanced at their arms, feeling like looking in each other's eyes was too intimate.

He connected to him and it lasted maybe a few seconds, before he broke Niles' wall. Then he left his forearm, however, the other still held him and slided his hand higher, on his upperarm. Connor looked at the android's actions, momentarily panicking and not feeling safe. Niles pulled him gently closer, hugging him. With this gesture, he totally surprised Connor, who was looking forward blantly over his shoulder, standing stiffly. He didn't know what to do, in his head appeared a dilemma. Return the gesture or stay indifferent?

He blinked a few times, lying his hands on the android's chest and moving him away on the arms length. When he felt beating of biocomponent imitating a heart, he took his hands and hid them in the pockets.