Chapter 23

The teenager handcuffed to the table was trembling from emotions, unadjusted to what was happening around her. Almost as if she was covered with a shield that didn't let any sound through. Connor and Hank observed the android in the observing room, wondering what way would be efficient in this situation.

Tears on her cheeks were an effect of the stress, her dark curls covered her face though, that's why they could be only seen while sitting across from her. Her mother arrived to the police station when the dance instructor called and explained everything. The woman was jittery, waiting outside for the interrogation to end. The nervousness didn't help and Connor finally decided to come into the interrogation room again.

He nodded at Hank, leaving and approaching the next door, then he put a hand on the panel to enter. The girl raised her gaze full of pain and fear.

She opened her mouth slightly like she wanted to say something but she closed them right away, watching Connor, who's just sat by the table. She furrowed her eyebrows and turned her head to the side, hiding from the analysing stare.

Silence had lasted only for a second, before Connor spoke up coolly.

'You need to explain what happened.'

She pursed her lips into a thin line.

'I'm sure you remember what you told me at the studio,' he put a pressure on her, leaning forward. 'The longer you stay silent, the worse for you.' A moment of hesitance, before he continued. 'You mentioned she bullied you, that she beat you. You wanted revenge, right?'

'No...' She whispered and maybe Connor wouldn't catch that word if he weren't an android.

'Then what happened? Did she go too far? Everything led to an attack in amok but we need your statement to know what exactly happened there.'

'I don't wanna,' she answered casually, louder than earlier.

Connor shook his head in disapproval, leaning back on his chair heavily. He started tapping his fingers on the table, wondering on the next words, on another attempt of convincing.

Perhaps he should show her empathy? Her psyche wasn't any different from a human teenager, they were practically the same and it made the comments about her feel with more strength than she wished.

'I can...' she began,'I can't show you,' she whispered, looking at Connor's hand, whose fingers stopped at her words and didn't tap the table impatiently anymore.

'Are you certain?' He made sure, raising his eyebrows.

He straightened up in the chair and looked at the girl awaiting. She nodded in an answer and reaches her hand in his direction, staying alert, pulling off artificial skin.

Connor reached to her forearm, creating a link and gaining Amelie's memories.

There was a lot of sadness and disappointment. The screamed were full of rage from making fun of her.

• • •

'You'll never be good enough,' the girl scoffed, irreverent smile present on her face.

'Shut up,' he heard the hateful answer as if he said it himself. The only thing that didn't suit was a female voice. Despite that, he saw everything with Amelie's eyes and it seemed like his point of view.

'Jeez, you're so useless. Look in the mirror and realize you don't belong here.' She stopped to sneer in laughter and approach the android a step. 'I dunno what business you've got. No one likes you here. You'd do everyone some good if you'd just disap...'

A loud splash echoed and in front of his eyes, he saw the teenager's hand landing on Wanda's cheek. When she looked at her again, she opened her mouth to say something but she was stopped.