Chapter 17

Connor wasn't running for too long.

Eventually, he stopped in panic and looked around. He knew where he was. Two more minutes by foot and he'd found himself at Markus' place. But he was standing in one spot, thinking about what he did. He escaped. He really escaped. The worst possible choice he didn't have any returning from. Tears rolled down his cheeks, when he realised how much he must have hurt Niles and how much he probably was confused.

He wiped his tears, though no one could see them.

He decided to connect with Markus.

Hi, can I come over?

He hunched down, hiding from artificial light of street lanterns.

Of course, I didn't think you'd visit me so soon.

Okay, I'll be there in a moment.

And he was, after already two minutes standing in front of the house, his silhouette consumed by darkness. In the most of the buildings lights were still on, meaning that few who was asleep.

He sent a quick message to Hank, so he wouldn't worry if he'd not come back home.

He took doorknob only then, and let himself in. He toed the shoes off and hung the coat on the hanger.

He went silently to the living room where, as expected, he found Simon and Markus. He sent them a little smile and sat on a fotel. TV was on in the background, on the table was whisky – obviously thirium-based. Connor didn't have to scan it, he'd recognize the smell everywhere and it was mainly Hank's fault.

"What's going on?" Simon asked.

Connor hid his face in hands.

"I don't know."

Markus stood up to take another glass and slide a drink towards Connor. The android accepted the offer that he'd usually decline due to its reminding of Anderson. But it was something else now and he pushed aside every inhibition.

“Alright, so I did something bad.” Markus looked at him in assurance he could continue. “It's embarrassing, but... I ran away when Niles confessed me love. Can you imagine?” He combed his hair through with his hand and averted his gaze.

"He confessed you love? Wow," Markus said, not so surprised and it didn't escape Connor's notice.

"You know something."

Both he and Simon watched Markus carefully now.

"Well, it wasn't so hard to see how concerned he was, when you were one foot in the grave."

"Please, don't say it like that," Simon rebuked him.

"But... oh, I ran away."

"Right, it was unreasonable. You have to talk to him," Markus advised.

Connor reached for his drink and took a few sips.

„It's funny to hear your advice when you can't start the... conversation yourself," he said, smiling sincerely, but a bit mischievous.

Both Simon and Markus looked away in visible embarrassment. Connor laughed quietly, shaking his head. He couldn't believe they kept behaving like this, not realizing anything. It was sweet in some way, but exhausting, as well.

This evening was really nice, when he was spending it with friends.

· · ·

This evening was really horrible, when he was spending it on returning to the DPD.

Niles felt lost, alone and rejected. Tears forced their way to his eyes and he let them drop on his cheeks. When he touched the wet trails, they were surprisingly warm and he thought that maybe they were real. He knew, however, they weren't human for sure – human's tears were also bitter.