Chapter 21

Wind caressed their faces during their walk through the dog park, Sumo played on the open space. They could notice some other dogs and their owners and this only added its charm to the place. It was kind of popular area for people from the neighborhood owning dogs.

The rolled leash in Connor's hand made a characteristic sound when the metal parts hit each other in the rhythm of his steps.

He stopped at one of the benches, made sure Sumo was in his range of view and sat down, putting the leash down. He dragged Niles down to sit next to him. Warm, spring air pleasantly marked their artificial skin.

'I didn't think holding someone else's hand,' he would say, glancing at their connected hands, 'could be so nice.'

His voice was gentle, quiet. He didn't want to break the peacefulness.

'People in relationships find it comforting,' Niles answered, smiling.

Connor raised his gaze to meet his calm face and hope in his eyes. They weren't together, but they were certainly connected by a feeling. They weren't in an official relationships, but their behaviour was definitely unambiguous.

It was pleasant, nice, today's success was happily lingering above them. Connor didn't want to interrupt such nice atmosphere, but he needed to explain one thing.

'About that kiss...'

'You don't need to explain,' Niles stopped him, rubbing his hand with a thumb soothingly.

'Nines. It wasn't fair to you,' he answered reproachfully.

'It's not true,' though his tone of voice seemed to say something else.

And Connor knew exactly he should have stopped himself then. Now, Niles blamed himself because of him, telling himself he took advantage of the situation. Even though it wasn't his fault at all, for he didn't do anything wrong. He pursed his lips in a thin line, letting go of his hand. He gained Niles' questioning look.

He didn't care for his reaction, a moment later embracing him and hugging his side. His head lying comfortably on his arm, his gaze following toward Sumo, who was playing with some stick he found.

Niles hesitantly hugged him back, bringing him even closer. He wished to protect him, make him happy - he wished him every best thing, even though he never said it aloud. He was happy himself, having him beside. They met almost seven weeks earlier, but it apparently was enough to get to know each other, change the attitude towards one another and feel... something.

A lot of things happened during this time; the bad ones, as well as the good ones. Relationship they created certainly belonged to the second ones.

'Don't blame yourself, Nines,' he said after a couple of minutes of silence between them. He raised his head to confirm these words with his gaze. To make him relax because in that moment he was really tense. His warm, brown eyes rested on those cold, grey ones. And Niles didn't know if he'd be able to not go crazy from the intensity of his look.

'I'll try,' he answered, not looking away.

'Alright. I'm aware I can't expect more.' Connor tilted his head a bit. A smile welcomed his face and Niles' heart beat faster, almost as if he'd never seen that look on him.

He chose to change the subject.

'How are you feeling? Today was really intense,' he stated, chuckling nervously, quietly.

Intense was an understatement.

'Good. I'm glad we could convince deviants I'm not so bad,' he answered, closing his eyes for a second.