Chapter 16

Connor said his goodbyes along with Markus and Simon, smiling and promising he would visit them in civil soon. It didn't take him long to notice Niles was silent, since he had decided to make all details of the case clear. He didn't pay much attention to this then and he thought he could be mad at him for that, so when they left Markus' place, and Connor sent Hank a message they were heading to New Jericho, he started a conversation to know what was going on.

“Nines,” he wanted to gain his attention, “Are you angry with me I told them everything?”

Niles raised his brows.

“No, I'm not, just...” he said, looking away, “I thought you're the one angry with me. Before our relation became better, you talked to me with the same amount of hostility, just like now at Markus place, and...”

He trailed off, folding his arms. Unpleasant feelings were difficult to deal with, he didn't know how to react. He was afraid Connor still secretly hated him and Markus' words made even more sense now. He would never forgive him entirely. He'd hide his trauma that would only scar, leaving him with the memory.

Connor was looking at Niles, his posture reminding him of a lost puppy. He neared him, unsure, and hugged gently, trying to decrease his stress levels that seemed to increase with lasting silence. Effectively, because just a moment later it changed from fifty two percent to nineteen.

“It's fine, I'm not mad. I was only a little disappointed you didn't want to trust them,” he explained, “And trust me,” he added more quietly.

Connor didn't know when he desired to gain Niles' trust. It happened so naturally he didn't even care to pay attention at first. He began to more and more count on him, wanting the same in return.

“You know well I trust you, Con.”

Diminutive of his name said by Niles, sounded like it always belonged there. He felt the nice creeps, as an effect of emotions he experienced at this one moment and it didn't leave unnoticed by the younger one.

“Is something wrong?” Niles asked, moving away to look at Connor.

Slight, pink blush on his face forced him to avert his gaze. He took a step back, crossing his arms on his chest.

“I'm okay, let's... go now, shall we?”

With the corner of his eye he noticed him smiling warmly, what certainly was caused by his reddening cheeks. Blush was so human thing. Another to collection of things making androids appear less robotic. CyberLife thought of the smallest details for their creations.

They made their way, keeping a proper distance between them. Connor relaxed, when he felt the pink disappear from his face.

They reckoned the way would be faster by foot, rather than waiting for a taxi. Markus chose his house especially to be near New Jericho – he visited every few days to see how his people were doing, how they lived. Until now, he hasn't let him know about any troubles, so they were good and everyone lived in harmony.

“You're ready?” Niles asked, when they stood in front of the building.

A neat construction, made by professionals. Connor would be impressed if he didn't know what waited for him inside. A bunch of deviants that, in the best scenario, would only look at him reluctantly.

“Yes,” he said, apprehensively.

Niles opened the door, let Connor in first and stepped through the threshold himself, after. A view of something like a hall met them, where a few fotels, couches and coffee tables stood – it looked like for guests.