Chapter 12

A willingness to care for someone's safety and happiness always was a natural instinct, you don't have to try to want someone's well-being. That's why Niles, ringing the doorbell, didn't care for his feelings, he knew it was nothing wrong. A need to protect Connor seemed like one of these natural instincts.

The door was opened by Markus, Hank apparently didn't want to leave Connor.

"Hey, can I come in?" Niles asked concerned, glancing inside the house over the android's shoulder.

Markus looked him up and down, seemingly thinking if letting Niles in would be a good choice.

"I don't know, if Connor will be happy to see you," he said, choosing to let him in, even being against it.

Niles shooked his head, taking his shoes off.

"I don't know either, but I just... have to be by his side," he announced, looking at Markus.

They entered the living room and the view of unconscious android, who lay on a tone of blankets, so under his back was placed a nice soft layer, made Niles' eyes tear up, but he forced them back quickly. He couldn't cry. Right, he could have a weak moment like anyone else, but keeping it for himself and showing it someone were two different cases.

Markus put his hand on Niles' shoulder, so he turned his head to look at him. The android motioned to the kitchen placed not so far away, but was in enough distance for them to talk. Hank didn't comment Niles' presence, he knew he would come here sooner or later.

They both sat at the round table in the middle, so they could freely start their conversation.

"Connor told me everything," Markus began, with visible hostility towards the android.

He didn't have to word his sentence differently or explain it, Niles understood. He lowered his head, staring at a tabletop, showing honest remorse. He was fully aware, he has been breaking his relationship with Connor since the beginning, hurting him.

"We didn't start on good terms," he admitted, finally raising his gaze. "However, perhaps he'll forgive me someday," he added, looking toward the mentioned person.

Markus pursed his lips in a thin line and folded his arms.

"Connor has too kind heart to not forgive you, but even if he does so, he still won't be able to have a good relationship with you," Markus warned. "Just don't take advantage of his kindness."

"I've never had such intention. I just want him to be happy and safe," Niles stated quietly, small smile on his lips, while looking at Connor again.

Markus couldn't help but notice the android's gaze he had in his eyes. Many feelings were there, like attachment, sadness, but happiness, too, because he could see Connor. He noticed a note of love, as well, but he didn't state it immediatly, to make sure if he interpreted correctly.

He didn't doubt his words, his grey, cold eyes proved it for him, they seemed warm for once.

"Who's he to you?" Markus asked, curious about his point of view.

"He's an important person," Niles answered.

"But who is he to you?"

The question surprised the android. What difference did it make? What answer did he expect? He raised his brows.

"I think he's a friend."

Markus laughed quietly and softly, with no clue how to react to the android's naivety. But he wasn't the one to judge, he was on the world only for a month, he didn't know many things.