Chapter 8

Behind glass walls of Fowler's office were five people, including himself. You don't have to be a genius to know who were four of them, but fifth?

"Hank, Connor, Niles, you're closing your case, writing Calvin Crowe down as the culprit. All evidence are against him, especially his unlucky runaway," captain fully concentrated on his workers, looking at them.

"Alright, captain," Connor spoke respectfully as usually.

"Hank, Connor, you're dismissed."

Mentioned two walked out a little hesitant and before they left the room, they could hear angry voice of detective Reed.

"What do I have to do with it?"

Niles glanced at Gavin, who apparently was already suspecting what all of it meant and he was afraid of being right.

Fowler breathed deeply to calm down.

"Reed, this is Niles, I'm assigning him as your partner."

Gavin's eyelids dangerously flinched, when he glared from captain to the android.

"You're joking, right?" He asked, anger on his face seemed even sharper.

"No, Gavin, I'm not," Jeffrey answered.

"It's nonsense! Why me?!" Detective yelled in anger, looking at his superior with terror in his eyes.

"You're the only one without a partner," captain stated, no longer calm. "And before you say anything else, think of it. You're working with Niles and remember, the androids have their rights now so treat him with respect or I'll be forced to fire you," he threatened.

Gavin shaked his head and laughed bitterly.

"Don't bother, Fowler," he said and with emotions getting over him, he took off his badge and put it on captain's desk, not giving him any chance to remind him about respect.

"Reed, you're not serious," Jeffrey stated confidently.

Niles listened to this exchange of words, knowing he shouldn't talk. Chances of calming detective down were calculated as not even five percent, so it was really low.

For a long while detective Reed looked in captain's eyes, like he was trying to win with his glare and see if he softened under his "resignation".

Gavin looked at his badge, then at the android, finally at Fowler again and he sighed heavily.

"You're right," he said finally, frowning more than earlier and getting the badge, pinning it to his belt where it belonged.

"You're dismissed," Jeffrey said, looking at his computer.

"Goodbye, captain," Niles answered, letting Gavin leave first.

Connor and Hank were watching the scene behind the glass with interest. They both were suspecting what caused Gavin to lose his nerves, his raised voice was audible outside of Fowler's office.

Niles approached Connor and Hank's desks to make things clear for them.

"I was assigned as detective's Reed partner, but he didn't react too well."

Hank snorted.

"Damn, he exploaded like a fucking bomb there," he said with amusement.

Connor glanced at Gavin's direction to see him lying his feet on his desk and angrily folding his arms, like he was done with the surrounding world. Niles followed his gaze to notice the same.

"It's better if I go there," he stated and nodded to his ex-partners, before he walked over to the detective.

Reed glared at the android visibly disgusted by him. Especially because he looked like Connor, the person he wasn't so friendly with and until he didn't see his face so often, it was fine. Now? Now he will see this irritatingly handsome face over and over. The difference was, it seemed like Niles was going to be more irritating. He sat at his desk across Gavin's one, seeing his name on a plastic that stood on it. Apparently, someone picked a place for him already.