Chapter 5

Connor blamed himself for not catching the suspect. He was the one who suggested to go back to DPD instead of following him back there. He thought they had enough time, that everything would go smoothly. He was too confident and he messed everything up. He couldn't sit calmly at his desk, he was angry with himself and guilt didn't let him rest.

Welcoming party for Kara was going to start in three hours, but he couldn't enjoy it. He couldn't think of anything else than his failure. They had a perfect chance and they let it slip without it going back. Being angry, he didn't even notice, when Hank watched him with a little worried face.

"Connor, don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault." He said.

"Then whose? Whose, Hank? I could have expected that." This fast respond was full of anger and guilt.

The android didn't look at his partner, he was looking at the floor, like it was the most interesting thing in the world. His will didn't let him look up and see Hank's face that would show him he wasn't mad at him. But he wanted to know and feel it was his fault.

He wasn't expecting words he heard next.

"Everyone makes mistakes."

And even more the person who said them.

Niles looked at Connor with his cold eyes, his voice as emotionless, mechanical as always. However, the fact he said something like that, really surprised him, so he watched him for a moment, not being able to believe.

He looked away, when Niles did it first, almost like those words never left his mouth. Maybe they really didn't, maybe it happened in Connor's head? He quickly threw away this thought as he saw lieutenant's surprised expression.

When he awoken from the feeling, he looked at a clock and raised his arms to stretch his muscles. His bones made a specific sound, making Connor glance at him and furrow his brows a bit. He never liked this sound.

"Our shift is over. Come on, Connor. You have to prepare for a party."

Connor rolled his eyes, laughing shortly and stood up, forgetting about remorse for a second. He glared with a corner of his eye at RK900, who probably stayed at DPD at night.

He pushed his chair to the desk and said to the android:

"Bye, Niles."

And he didn't expect that from himself. For a last few days he never said goodbye to him, he maybe greeted him twice. Most of the time he ignored him but he noticed the android was more and more neutral to him, he wasn't reminding him about his priorities. That's why Connor even with his biases, finally let go. Niles showed he didn't expect it as well.

· · ·

"White or black shirt?" Connor asked, watching his reflection in the mirror.

Even if he didn't have to care for his appearance, he wanted to show his better side. He looked at Hank, who stood at bathroom's door and was glancing at him.

"Black." He answered eventually.

This colour matched everything. And the most important, it was harder to see dirt on it - no one knew what may happen tonight. Androids couldn't get drunk, but they could have fun together.

It was thirteen minutes to eight o'clock, when Connor said he was ready. He knew there was much time left, but he was aware that North's house was a place which decorating should be done with every pair of hands possible.