Chapter 13

Connor woke up from stasis and noticed he was covered with a blanket and Niles disappeared somewhere. Looking for the android didn't last long, because a moment later he heard a sound of door being opened and the living room entered the mentioned android, carrying a few bags of thirium with CyberLife logo.

How do you feel?, he asked through interface, giving him the mentioned silver bags.

Okay, he answered plainly, taking thirium.

He knew exactly what it was for. He surely lost some of his blue blood, so he approached one of the shelves, took a glass out and poured the liquid in there. He returned to the living room and started to slowly drink. Hank had a couple more minutes of sleep before starting to prepare for work, so Connor took a place on the couch again.

The past's shadows could return at any moment, at any place and he was fully aware of that. He knew he wasn't the likeable one among his species, they could even see him as an enemy and he should be careful. He felt the mattress curve under weight of another person, so he looked at, as he thought, Niles and hunched, trying to hide his face from the world. He felt a hand on his shoulder when Niles tried to make him look at him.

Are you sure you want to come to work today?

At least I'll have something to do.

But you need to rest.

Connor looked at the android, furrowing his brows.

No, I have to distract myself from... all of this.

Niles watched with concern as Connor put the empty glass on the table and his face grimaced in pain. Like something hurt him, not physically, but mentally what caused Niles pain, too. He slowly took his hand away and leaned forward to catch Connor's gaze, who still hunched, didn't want to even raise his head.

Everything will be fine, you're safe, he reached his hand to him and placed it on his cheek, to turn his face towards himself. No one can hurt you.

Eventually, Connor met his eyes full of grief and concern. His synthetic skin retracted from his hand, what wasn't something Niles could control and they both knew what it meant, but his feelings, even if not so clear, weren't any secret. That's why neither of them cared about that. Connor parted his lips to speak up, but instead of that he closed them and lowered his gaze.

I'm sorry you have to look at me, while I'm like this.

Don't be sorry. I'm glad I can be here and comfort you. Though... I don't know how much my presence is helping.

He took his hand and straightened up, checking the time. At the same moment, they heard Hank leaving his room. They greeted each other and eventually began to get ready for work.

· · ·

Gavin couldn't sleep that night. It wasn't like he earlier slept normally, but this time, nightmares of daily life were keeping him awake, not those about the past. He was angry for letting himself to be so weak the thought of Connor dying, effectively kept him from sleeping. So eventually he ended up in the living room with a cup of coffee, covered with a blanket and watching films.

His cat slept on his thighs and it was a shame he had to move him, when his alarm rang. He managed to get ready, after sleepless night, he fed his small friend and went to work.

The way seemed to get longer and he wondered if he was going to meet Connor at the station? Was he even alive? At the thought itself his insides were turning upside down. When he arrived, he approached a receptionist, confirming his identity and went to the office, expecting the worst.