Chapter 22

Under The Mistletoe

The night whistled in a cold temperature; December feels. There was barely a week left before the celebration for December 25th and yet the whole house wasn't still decorated. It felt empty and hollow like it chronically was.

The neighbors were already competing with their grandiose Christmas trees inside their house and thousands of color changing small bulbs to really give out the holiday feels. Carolers jingled with Christmas songs knocking on doors for some 'pamasko'.

It's that time of the year!

Where majority celebrates what they call 'Christmas'. A whole day to give and receive presents, stories but most especially love. While for others, it's just December 25 but with a twist. It's still a day where Filipinos gets to enjoy their day-off. Whether with family or friends, the cultural instinct to enjoy that date was something we've already relic since time was better.

"Ate? Anong gagawin natin sa pasko? Hindi manlang ba tayo maghahanda o kaya aayusan itong bahay? Ang lungkot naman kung ganito lang, ayaw ni Nanay Ligaya ng malungkot ang pasko, diba?" Lea nodded.

It gave off a melancholic presence remembering that this Christmas and more following ones will never be the same with permanently not having her mother to celebrate it. It did stricken Lea with activities they could do to make it better though.

"Baka dito daw mag-pasko mga kaibigan namin. Isip na lang tayo ng paraan para may ambag tayo." They were in synch as they crouched (more on lean a little forward for Lea) and held their chin at the edge of the bed like they were cartoon characters legitimately turning into a real world human envisions.

"Alam ko na!" Lito Yelped. "Ano?!" Both girls asked.

"Wala." He chuckled agitatedly with their glare. It was something he doesn't want to mess up with.

"Paano kung tawagan natin si kuya Ian tapos magpasama tayo sa mall sakanya?" Bingbing suggested which presumably was a good idea if only Aga wouldn't contradict with that.

"Alam mo naman sasabihin ni Aga diyan." Lea gave her a 'you know what it will turn out look' sloping her head sidewards.

"Kung ayaw niya tayong samahan at ayaw ka niyang alagaan. Eh bakit pa siya nagasawa?! Para may mauwian siya, ganun?!" The little girl was berserk! Her voice was wildly mad, outbursting her thoughts and reckons.

"Shh! Baka marinig ka niya, nandiyan siya sa baba diba?" Lea warned, implying a 'shh' gesture.

"Pakielam ko? Ate alam mo sobrang bait mo minsan gusto kitang turuan kung paano magalit. Gusto mo i-train kita? Hindi pa kita nakikitang galit, kahit 'yun na lang regalo ko saakin!" The request was indeed unusual and flabbergasting. You wouldn't lament that a child would ask that as a gift.

"Ikaw nga. Tumigil na. Tsaka wala din naman tayong pambili. Siguro naman pupunta dito sila Vice doon na lang tayo magayos." They puffed air out off their ballooned cheeks as they free fell their body on the bouncy mattress.

"Labas tayo ate! Lakad tayo! Basta ayaw ko dito sa bahay, wala kaming magawa! Ganito lang ba ang buhay ng mayayamang bata? Nakahiga lang?" Lito bewailed with persistency to explore the world apparent from the tweak of his voice.

"Siyempre kapatid! Hindi naman nila kailangan magtrabaho na kasi nga mayaman na sila, sa gawain bahay naman may katulong sila." He relented with a head slant and shoulders up.

Knock knock*

Their spirits were splattered off their body in horrid-genuine wham. "Can I enter?" Bingbing gave Lea a menacing look of eye-widening but it was late when she had already permitted him to go inside.