Chapter 1

Dedicated to kyralue

Everytime I say "life can't get any harder" life replies "challenge accepted!!"

As I stand outside of the Northbridge Orphanage,
I can't but think back to how I got here. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Oh yeah it was yeserday.

The thing is, 2 years ago I was told my father died of natural causes, so you could imagine the suprise when men in suits barged in my house yeserday and took my mother away to prison for my father's murder.

Murder? My mother thinks twice before killing a damn mosquito. Something is definitely fishy here.

But I didn't even get to have any last words with her. And because I have no other family they sent me straight to this place. This building that looked like it was gonna collapse any minute now...

"Umm Hello" a voice interupted my depressing thoughts.
I turned to see a really short girl with curly hair and dark skin.

I raised my eyebrows as if to say "well? What do you want?"

"I'm here to show you to your room" she says.

Hmmm she said room not dorm. That means everyone here gets their own room right?

Wrong.

"This is a orphanage, You thought you were getting your own room genius?" The voice in my head screams at me as I scan the room she brought me to. 21 beds. Some bunked some single.
She takes me around the empty room until we stop at a single bed.
"This is your bed, its right beside mine!"

Ok I don't know if it's my trust issues but this girl seems way too perky.

"Where is everyone" I ask.

" I don't know, we can do whatever we want during the day here. But bedtime is 7."

"Oh"

After that its just silence. Talk about awkward.
Then she speaks up.

"What's your name?"

"Gravity"

"What?"

"Gravity" I say again even though I know she heard me. You see, anytime I tell others my name they seem taken aback. But my name isn't even that weird. In fact, my name isn't weird at all. Its unique. Yes , thats the word I'm looking for.

"That's beautiful" she says. Ok I did not expect that.
"I wish I had such a unique name" she continues" My name's Joy" She says the name like it's a curse word.
And then I do something I haven't done in a while.

I smile

I smile at her. " I think your name's real pretty. It means happiness." I say to her.

She smiles back.

" Come. Let me show you around"

She then proceeds to show me the playground, the bathrooms, the kitchen etc. and I get numorous stares from different people.
On our way back to the room however, She gets called by one of the kitchen ladies.

"Can you find the room on your own?"

"Yeah sure" I say having very little confidence in myself.

I watch her leave with the woman before turning around only to smack hard into something.

Or someone rather.

I look to see a chest. I tilt my head up to the face that belongs to the chest.
I see a boy scowling at me.
He has black hair and gray eyes.
He wasn't cute. No
He was.......... beautiful
Wait that sounded cheesy and stupid. Can you by any chance forget I said that? Thanks.

"Watch where you're going will you. Are you visually impaired." He says sarcastically.

Apparently, since I just called you beautiful in my mind....
What happened to the boys in the books I use to read. They would probably say "I'm sorry, go ahead.

Ok now that I think about it books set my expectations of life way too high.

"Ummm yeah sorry"
"Umm yeah sorry?? What an intelligent thing to say. Good job." My subconscious mocks me.

I then proceed to walk away.

Go back and put him in his place!!
" No" I say aloud.

Oh look I'm talking to myself. Aren't I perfectly normal?

I turn around to see him gone. I then continue my search for the room which I share with 20 other individuals. You might think I'm a spoilt brat who isn't grateful for anything.
I am grateful. At age 17 I could be on the streets plus I'll be 18 soon. Which means I'll have to fend for myself then. But for now, I'll take anything I get.
___________

I feel proud of myself when I spot the familiar wooden doors. But which one was mine again?
I had to look into two rooms before knfound my actual room. I look around the room. From the water damaged ceiling to the creaky wooded floor.
I guess this is my life now.

I can't but think of my mother and what she must be going through. Prison is no place for a woman as kind as her.

I find my bed and lay down to rest.

But sleep is no use if it's your soul thats tired.....

________________________________________________

Well that's the first chapter. Hope you like it.
And if not it will get better I promise.

Comment what you think!

What's your name?