Chapter 13

I stare in the small piece of mirror at my now shoulder length hair which was waist lenghth 15 minutes ago.

I'm officially 18 now, I thought I could use a change.
This morning they started singing the happy birthday song but I quickly stopped them before they could continue.

I continue looking in the piece of mirror that Joy just happened to have in her bag. I see the visible bags under my eyes. I didn't get much sleep last night, Dannys coughs kept me awake as I could not throw off my anxiety.

He was visibly better this morning, as I gave him the rest of the medicine and he was no longer coughing, only complaining of a sore throat.

I turn around to Danny to see the pocket knife that he used to cut my hair still in his hands.

I mean, it's not a drastic change but it's something.

I ofcourse had to force Danny to do it for me since Joy didn't know how.

It was a little jagged in some places but I still liked it. I felt somewhat, lighter.

"How do I look?" I say to them

"Beautiful! "

"Great"

"You don't look any different..."

I'm sure you can tell who replied with what.

After admiring myself a little more, we set out.
Our next Stop was Lakeville.

"Wait.." Sam said making us Stop in our tracks."do you guys hear that?"

I listened closely..
Then I heard it.

"A train" I said and he nodded.

"We don't have any money" Danny said.

"We could jump it?" I said catching Danny by suprise. Yes I know I'm always opposed to these stuff but we were closer now.

So that's exactly what we did.
We waited at the corner, cause according to Danny that's where the train would slow down a bit.

It was nearing the corner now...

One,

Two,

Three..

Jump!

We made it.

~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~

"Fucking kids!" The man said as he threw us off the train.

"You're lucky I ain't got time to report you"

He threw me last and I landed on my butt with a thud in the grass.

We were halfway to Lakeville when they found us.
It was Joy, complaining that she was hungry then Danny went in search for food on the train.

And that's how they found us.

We would have to walk the rest of the way.

"Hey" Danny says before showing us a pack of chips. He must have taken it off the train before they caught us.

I took it and shared it for the four of us.

We moved from the tracks and started on the dirt road again.

I looked at Danny who was noticeably better now.

"Is your throat still sore"

"Mhm" he says and I look at him.

"Yes" he corrects.
And we continued walking with Joy and Sam in front of us talking.

I wonder what they're talking about?
Which reminds me, I need to talk to Joy soon.