Chapter 12 - Promises made

(Sophia's POV)

I'd stepped out of the tub, wrapping myself in a thin bathrobe before exiting. I was towel drying my hair when Kaoru comes in, also dressed in a thin robe and he sits on the bed, looking over a few papers.

"Why did you come?"

Knowing this wouldn't be a short conversation he puts down the papers, removing his glasses "Because I had to see you."

"Why?" He turns away and I feel my anger flare. I know it was petty but I had been trying to call Kaoru for the last two weeks and the male had seemed to vanish off the face of the planet. Every call went to voice mail and every text was left on open but never answered. When I tried to talk to Baki about it the man said sometimes Kaoru just got in these moods, but everything I'd come to learn about Kaoru told me otherwise. Kozue even went to his office, but after a few minutes of screaming, she was turned away at the door. "I know you care about me okay? Why do you keep avoiding me?!"

"Because I made a promise."

"What promise?" when he doesn't answer I push again "What are you not telling me?"

"Your father was there Sophia. Every time you've been hurt he's been there."

"What? No, he hasn't."

"You've been unconscious every time and he always has to leave before you wake but he's there." I stop, quietly thinking through his words "I went to the hospital after Dorian attacked you and I met him there. He got mad at me. He said that everything in your life had gone to hell when you met me and he's right." I pull my hand back like I'd been burned "Sophia having you in my world is more dangerous then you understand. You can't have a normal life with me. You'd constantly be in danger. He said I can't keep you safe and he's right."

"Of course he's right." He looks at me shocked "Kaoru, no one in this world can keep anyone safe. I could get hit by a car and die tomorrow or get mauled by a dog or fall off a cliff." I sit down and wince "My mom and brother died going to his university orientation. If I lived my life fearing the 'what if's' I'd never do anything. My grandparents didn't want my mother travelling to japan and had she listened she never would have met my dad." I take his hand in mine "I understand how much my dad has lost because I live that pain every day. I understand how scary this is for him, and you. You're right, I'm not from your world but that doesn't change how I feel. Life is risk but living life is finding something to take that risk on."

"You hardly know anything about my life."

I smile, thinking back to our day in the classroom "I know enough." I squeeze his hand "I know this seems sudden but I like you Kaoru, I really like you. You're kind, you care about others, you're hard working, funny. I know that your life is dangerous but I want to be with you." despite my bold claim I feel myself blush "... Do you want to be with me?"

Kaoru looks at me, his eyes were soft and his mouth opens once. When no words come out he shuts it, simply leaning forward. His long arm moves around my back, scooping me out of the bed and I feel my heartbeat. I see Saeri's swollen lips past through my mind and I feel my heart jump slightly... but then I feel them. Kaoru's soft lips against mine. His other hand comes up behind my head and I reach forward grabbing the front of his robes.

When he doesn't move, kissing me more gently then I ever thought possible I tilt my head up pressing against his lips with more force I feel him pull back slightly, tilting his head to the left. I wanted nothing more than to deepen the kiss but I couldn't stop the flash of pain in my stomach. I push back slightly and turn my head to the left.

Kaoru pulls back and I move a hand to my stomach "I'm sorry."

I feel my eyes widen when he leans down again, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. I'm placed in his king-size bed and lean back on the pillows. My hands lift, gently brushing over his bruises and I frown.