Chapter 8 -I Thought I Knew Heartbreak...

(Sophia's POV)

It had been three days, three days since we broke up and Kozue's questions were driving me up the wall. I mean I'm impressed Baki held out as long as he did, keeping secrets wasn't his strong suit but come on, I was about five seconds from punching her or bursting into tears.

"Well, what do you want to do?"

I turn, glancing at Kozue. The girl was sitting beside me on her bed, the cold drink perched between her two fingers in an effort to not drop it.

"I'm not sure what there is to do. I made my choice and he made his."

"Oh come on Sophia, you're crazy about him."

I hug my pillow to my chest, her words cutting me deep "We're just from two different words Kozue... I don't belong in his. It's not the same as it is with you and Baki."

"But you were adapting just fine, right?" her questioning gaze bores into me and I cover my face.

I wasn't the one with the problem...

I toss the pillow across the room, sitting up quickly "I have to go see my brother."

"Sophia wait!"

I'm down the stairs and out of the house in record time.

-

I walk down the hospital, pulling my sweater closer to my body when I stop. The cold chill runs down my spine and I feel my eyes sliding to the door and then the room. Who the hell was it? And where were they? I gasp, feeling tugged into a nearby closet and shoved up against the wall. I react, tossing out my fist and feel it countered, then my other, feeling it pinned above me, and try to kick my attacker when all of his weight is forced upon me.

"Hey, Soph."

I pause, feeling that flush of heat, and wince at the sudden bright light flicked on above us "Doyle? What the hell?"

He sends me a cocky smirk "Rough week? You seem tired."

I kick my leg out, feeling him shove me against the wall, my leg now trapped in between his and my arms pinned above me "As I said before, it's far too early for you to best me."

I struggle against him, feeling tears rim my eyes "What do you want Doyle."

He smiles, looking down at me "I want to help." I feel his grip loosen, his fingers lowering my arms "I meant it, Sophia, I can help you." I look to the left "You need my help, why do you keep resisting me?"

"Oh, I don't know! Because you kill people! Because you escaped from prison! Because you are the last person I should be trusting with anything yet you can't seem to leave me alone!" I stare into his calm eyes, calculating eyes, and feel my lip tremble, more tears coming "... If I come to you I have to admit that it's really over..."

He released my leg, letting me stand, his hands on my hips "Sophia there is nothing left for you here. Everyone is holding you back." He watches my tears fall with an expression I couldn't quite place "Some people aren't meant to be there forever, some of them are simply passing through. Don't let them drag you down."

I feel my anger flare "I'm not weak Doyle!"

I shove him back, or maybe he let me I wasn't sure but the sudden lack of heat had me shivering. Doyle takes a few more steps back, simply staring at me, and sighs "... When you finally see things my way, come find me."

The lights flicker off and moments after I know I'm alone.

I wipe away my tears, leaving the storage closet, and turn, stopping in my tracks when I see a flash of red long hair. I feel my stomach turn, and shift, heading into the nearest elevator. Kureha was looking at a chart so I hoped he didn't see me.