chapter 21 - Some Hard Truths.

(Sophia's POV)

Like I'd thought my father was on me the moment we walked through the door. "What are you doing home?! You're supposed to be at school!"

"I'm here to get some stuff, Takeda is here to get some stuff and after your outburst last night I do not trust you alone with him."

"You don't trust me?" He laughs "I am the adult here Sophia, you are my child."

"You're the adult here?!" I toss my keys into the key bowl "Would you please tell me what part of last night was you being an adult?"

"I do not have to justify protecting my daughter."

"Protecting me? You stormed into my place of business, you caused a scene, you yelled at my friends, then you went over and screamed at the only woman who's been doing your job for the last three years! I consider her more of a parent than you!" I toss Kaoru's jacket on the couch and place a hand on my mouth, forcing myself to calm down. I was just making both of us angry. "... Why are you here dad?"

"I want to get to know you; I thought you wanted me in your life!" He roars

"You just traveled all the way around the country without saying a thing and now you're pissed because I'm not dripping everything to accommodate you!" I grab my hair in frustration "I mean seriously! Do you even listen to yourself?! You shut me out for weeks, and now you just show up on my doorstep."

"It's my doorstep, this is my house!"

"This is a house you haven't been in for three years! I am the one who takes care of this house. That is the one thing you never seem to get! Owning a house, having a family is more than just paying bills or child support! Have you even gone to see Christopher yet?" he looks at the ground "Dad, I love you but you need to understand that you are not my father. You are a man that pays the bills and gets angry at me when I don't do what he says. Kinyoui, Kozue, Baki, Takeda, Imori's Grandmother, mom, Kaoru, Christopher. They cared for me, they raised me. They are not just my friends, they are my family. You hold onto my childhood photo dad, expecting her to be me. I'm not four Dad! I'm an adult, I have my own life and you need to accept that you are not the center of mine!" I take his hand firmly my voice painful "I want you in my life but first, you need to learn about it."

"And I suppose you feel the same way?"

I follow his gaze and see Takeda standing in the hallway, my school uniform, undergarments, socks and hairbrush in his hands.

"Leave him out of this! This is exactly what I mean dad! You don't have to shout or snap at people because you're not getting your way! Grow up!"

"Excuse me?!"

"When did I meet Takeda?!"

"A month ago."

"No. I met Takeda four years ago. Where do I go to school?" Silence "what's my favorite color?" Silence "What sport do Takeda I practice every day?" At his silence, I cross my arms "I am not kicking everyone out of my life because you decided to be a 'parent'."

"Sophia..." Takeda chides and I sigh, taking my clothes I walk into the bathroom and shut the door

"What are you doing for work here Dad?"

"The company will set me up with something here."

I slide on my bra and turn, looking in the mirror to do up the clasps "You told me three weeks ago that you couldn't leave your big project. Were you lying to me?"

"No."

I change my underwear "No?"

"It's complicated." I toss on my shirt "You know what?! I don't have to explain my life to you!"