Chapter 25 - Two Lies Don't Make A Truth

(warning slight lemon)

(Kaoru's POV)

"Where did you go?"

I glance down at Sophia. The two of us were lying in bed, one of my shirts hanging off her small frame. We had finished our celebration, dinner and drinks with friends. Of course, as everyone was under age the drinks were pop, energy drinks or anything else we grabbed off the non-alcoholic rack. Being a school night and the looming weight of final exams fast approaching killed any inappropriate yet fun ideas.

"Hmm?"

"At my tournament? You left."

Flash back

I lean against the seat, feeling the car slow down. My body stays still, glancing up at the large building before me, the large glass doors reflecting the outside world. Japans Police department. Within moments I'm out of the car, through the doors and standing before the blonde receptionist at the front desk. Her polished red nails clicking on the keyboard before her and her head tilted to her left shoulder to hold the phone with no hands.

When she hangs up, I speak. "Excuse me."

"Yes-" From the sudden way her words die in her throat and the dramatic bulging of her eyes I assumed she recognized me. "Ah- Um- I-"

The blonde looked about five seconds from peeing herself when a deeper voice speaks.

"Kaoru Hanayama." I turn, silently taking in Police Chief Morio Sonoda. His usual green suit and piercing black eyes bore into my questioningly "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to pick someone up."

While it wasn't a new thing for my men to end up in jail, having the head of the organization making a personal appearance was.

..

..

"Here he is."

Sonoda and I stood before the cell, staring at Sophia's father lying on the bench, arm tossed over his face. He'd been tossed in jail for brawling in a bar and judging from the blood on his hands and shirt it had been a bad one.

At the sound of words Sophia's father turns his head "Oh, what the hell are you doing here?"

I stand there, not bothered by this act of aggression in the slightest "I came to get you."

"Your bail is paid and your to be released into Mr. Hanayama's care." Sonoda says, still staring at the two of us questioningly.

"I'm not going with you," he hisses "I called my daughters phone."

"Sophia's in the middle of her kendo tournament. Even if she could I wouldn't let her leave, she's worked too hard for this."

"Wow..." he muses, sitting up with a struggle "You almost sound like you care about her."

My face remains the same as I look down on the man before me. It hurt to see him like this, to see the man Sophia so desperately needed wasn't there.

"My men will take you to the hospital, to get your injuries checked out, then they will bring you home."

"Like hell I am. I'm not leaving with anyone but my daughter." When he goes to move I step before him, calmly staring at a man drowning in deep pain. A man content with dragging everyone else down with him. He laughs, staring at Sonoda "This is ridiculous. He's a criminal!"

"I'm not letting you see Sophia like this, she doesn't need this right now." I turn to look at two of my men "Take Mr. Jones to the hospital then home, and make sure he stays there for the evening."