chapter 6 - Tell Me The Truth Or We're Done Dad.

Sorry for the slow update, I had an idea of what I wanted then my sister gave me more and I've been struggling with a plotline I enjoy, but I think I have it figured out. Please Enjoy.

Two days later.

*Sophia's pov*

I knock on the door, my knuckles rasp against the dark redwood four times. I pull my hand away and wait, I hear the television stop and footsteps. When it opens, I get the full smell of soba noodles and ginger beef. Take out, not surprising as Dad couldn't cook.

I was, however, half surprised he didn't slam the door shut "What are you doing here?"

After I'd all but screamed at him to stay out of my life, I guess it was odd

"Five minutes. Five minutes of your time, after the stunt you pulled you owe me at least that much."

My dad stops, pausing for a moment, and steps aside. I walk into the house, pulling off my coat.

"If you're here for an apology you won't get one."

"I'm not here for an apology." I tuck my coat over my arm "Tell me what happened between you and mom. Why didn't you fight for her?"

He looks at me and sighs, pulling a pop from the fridge "I tried. Before you were born, I had been spending so much time at work, being stressed out about my job, your brother... I started drinking. I lost my job, I turned to gambling." He moves from the kitchen, sitting on the couch by the TV "I got into some money problems with loan sharks. Then one day a man approached us, he offered us money in exchange for our help."

"What kind of help?" When he stops, I push again "What kind of help?!"

"Personal help." At my annoyed look he sighs "Sophia, your mother and I made a deal, a promise but when the time came to deliver on that promise your mother couldn't. Fearing the consequences, I went behind her back. When your mom found out... she couldn't look at me. So, I got a job overseas and I bowed out gracefully." His eyes snap up to me "I wanted to come back okay? But I couldn't hurt your mother like that again."

"What did you do? What did you give them?"

"Sophia..."

"What did you give them dad?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why not?!"

"Because I promised your mother, I'd never tell you or your brother."

"For once in your life just be honest with me dad! Please!"

I knew I shouldn't push him; I knew it was mean but I felt like I was missing some big piece of the puzzle. Some key that could give me closure. Everything that happened was spinning my life on its head. One plus one wasn't two it was six, and I was stumbling four numbers behind.

But that hope dies when he sighs "... I can't."

I felt the knife stab my chest and the tears fill my eyes "Fine, then we have nothing left to talk about." I turn, pulling on my coat and head for the door "Make sure you visit Christopher."

-

I sighed, wiping away a few tears, and grab my phone. I glance at the first contact and shake my head. Kozue was still reeling from the kidnapping and Baki couldn't keep a secret from her.

I tap the fourth contact and wait. The line rings, and rings and rings. I sigh again, leaning against the wall nearby the store.

"Hey this is Katsumi, I'm probably in practice so leave a message at the beep!" The line beeps and I debate on hanging up.