Chapter 5 - The Hospital

(Sophia's POV)

I woke up to gentle beeping, my head felt fuzzy and I was very warm. I swallow roughly and try to dislodge the thick ball of phlegm in my throat. I feel a hand on my arm.

"Sophia?"

I turn my head, taking in Kozue sitting beside me. She raises her hand to her mouth and points a finger to the left. I look the other way, noticing Takeda sleeping awkwardly on an uncomfortable chair. Kozue stands offering me a drink of water with a straw.

God, my throat felt like I'd swallowed glass "What happened?" Jeez, I sounded like I'd swallowed glass.

"You're in the hospital. You've been unconscious for the last three days..." she sits, squeezing my arm "You had a small rupture in your kidney from the fall so they had to repair it. You passed out in class."

I look at her slowly "Did you bring me here?"

She shakes her head "No, Sophia. Hanayama-san brought you here. He lifted your chair with one hand and took you out of class." She chuckles, hiding her blushing face with my arm "Oh my god, Sophia you should have seen him... He smashed the large Iron gates with one swing."

"He broke the gate?"

"How else was he going to get you here?" she giggles "They close the gates till school is over."

"What..."

"He's also paying for everything." She sets my arm on the bed and rubs it gently "He's been here every night. My god girl, what did you do to him?"

I can't help but smile "I'm not sure..."

I laid there, quietly taking in the information. I didn't understand him. First Kaoru tells me to stay away from his because it's dangerous and now he's damaging school property and rushing me to the hospital? What was going on?

"Ah, look who's awake." A cheerful voice says from the doorway.

I look at the door and see a large man. He was very tall, extremely muscular and had a very feminine face. His bright red hair was pulled into a loose ponytail behind his head.

"Sophia this is Doctor Kureha, he's a friend of Baki-kun's. He performed your surgery." Kozue states but her smile didn't reach its usual height. I guess there was a bit of bad blood between him and Baki.

"You my lady are very lucky," he smiles, picking up my chart "The bleed was small and well hidden from an untrained eye. Had you stayed at home instead of going to school you'd be dead by now." He walks over, flashing a small light over my eyes "how are you feeling? Are you in any pain?"

"My throat hurts but that's it," I whisper.

He moves, checking my mouth next "We have to intubate you for the surgery so a bit of tenderness should be expected. Is it very painful or bearable?"

"It feels like I swallowed glass."

"Painful, got it." He chuckles "I'll have one of the nurses bring you in a drink. Try not to talk a lot okay?"

For some reason, his smile does little to comfort me. After a few seconds of silence Doctor, Kureha turns, leaving the room. My eyes fall from him to her "Do I want to know?"

Her silence says it all "It's in the past."

Had my throat not hurt like it was I would have pushed the issue further. Still, I was very groggy and tired. I look out the window, shutting my heavy eyes.

Flashback

It was a lukewarm Monday when we had the swim test. The boys were first and after they were the girls. I crossed my legs, adjusting my towel as another set of boys dived off the pier and into the water. Watching them swim back and forth was beyond boring. Having the guys staring at us would be extremely embarrassing and I suddenly found myself despising this class. I could feel a few sets of eyes on me already. Not only was I a transfer student but also a gaijin (a foreigner). Thankfully my mother's side of the family was Chinese but my wider eyes, thick eyelashes and plump full lips were a dead give-away to my father's Scottish roots.