Chapter 24 - Competition day

(Sophia's POV)

Today should have been the happiest day of my life. My kendo competition was here, the bleachers were filled with fans, many of them holding posters with my name on them. Most I didn't know personally, just over-enthusiastic fans that were here last year. Others I did. Kozue and Baki were the first to come, Takeda was standing with me beside the mats as we went over my plan. Kenichi and Chiharu Shiba were next, each of them brings two men with them and their loud cheers were quickly shushed by Kozue. Restu and Katsumi follow sitting on the end of the bleachers, nodding at me with large smiles. And much to my surprise even Kaoru comes, sitting below Baki with an unimpressed Kizaki by his side. With a new deal in the works, Kaoru had been saddled down with twice as much work so as the loving girlfriend I quietly told him it would be appreciated but not expected that he shows up.

Yet, even with all this love and appreciation, I couldn't focus. After the fight with my father all of my energy had been drained. I was sloppy, missing a few openings and barely made it through the first two rounds, a far cry from my other years.

Flash back

I stepped into the house, setting my keys on the table and pause when I notice the second set of shoes. I shut my eyes. Fuck, my father was home. I sigh, placing my hands on the rail and quietly head upstairs. I walk down the hall, into our training room and stop when I find my dad on the bamboo floor, stabbing a purple handled blade into the mat. To make matters worse this was a new blade, the red-handled one was still on the wall in its sheath.

He shakes the handle in my face "I have been working on myself for three weeks, wondering, worrying, and not understanding why all of this was happening to you but now I see it! You let this into our lives! Into our home! Darkness creates more darkness!" he stabs the blade into the mat as I roll my eyes.

"Have you been drinking again?" At his narrowed eyes I sigh, tossing my hands up "Fine. What do you mean dad?"

"Where do you think I got this?" he lifts the blade "Your boyfriend sent someone here to kill me."

Despite the weight of that sentence, I can't help the snort that leaves my lips "What? Dad that's ridiculous."

At my humor his eyes narrow "Is it?"

Trying to avoid another fight I relent, curbing my laughter "Dad if Kaoru wanted you dead, you'd be dead." I sit on the mat before him "What happened?"

"Some lunatic broke into our house last night yelling at me with a knife. He was angry that I was back in your life and he threatened me. Leave or else."

I grab the blade, seeing the purple handle and roll my eyes. Turning it over the three-headed dragon confirmed my suspicions "Was the man, tall, blonde and wearing a long purple jacket?"

"How did you know?"

I wave the blade "I recognize the blade." I sigh, sitting before my father again and try to say this as nicely as possible "Dad, Kaoru didn't try to kill you. The man you met was one of my bodyguards, he's a friend of mine and Kaoru's and he cares deeply about me."

"He broke into my house in the middle of the night with a knife to threaten at me and you're defending him?"

Had it been any other time I would have laughed at the irony "Dad, I know you only see them as a dangerous organization but they're not? They're a family, we're a family and family can do crazy things when they think their protecting others."

"Family?" he hisses "You're calling those criminal's family?!"

I put my hands up "I'm not doing this with you, I'm just here to get my stuff and then I'm leaving for my tournament."