Jude James Smallbone

Let's not talk about how long it's been since I last updated. (Okay, it was 5 months ago.) Almost half a year of no updates. I updated Release on the Friday before Thanksgiving break and now I'm updating FOS with this shot on the Friday before Spring beak. I must have a think for Fridays before week-long breaks. Anyway, how are you spending your break? I'm gonna bake a cake and then be useless. 

*****************************************************************************************************

I was halfway through a basketball movie when my wife, Courtney, came up to me, wincing and barely able to walk.

"Luke,"she said.

"Yeah?"I replied, eyes fixed on the screen.

"My stomach is killing me."

Did you take medicine?"

"Yes."

"And?"

"It got worse."

I look over at her. Coco was leaning heavily on the couch and the pain was obvious on her face.

"C'mere,"I say, helping her onto my lap. I pause the movie, then ask, "Do you want me to take you to the hospital?"

"If they can make the pain go away,"she sniffs.

"Okay, let's go."

I help her to her feet and we make our way to the car-barely. We rushed to urgent care, and within minutes Coco was admitted.

While they worked on my wife, I pulled out my phone and called my brother, Joel.

"Lukey Pukey, what's up?"

I ignore him and say, "Coco is in serious pain and now we're at Urgent Care and-"

"You;re worried sick and want me to calm you down?"Joel finishes.

"Y-yeah,"I stammer, amazed. "How did you-"

"I know you, little brother. Especially when it comes to Courtney."

"How?"

"I set you up, helped you propose, and was your best man. How could I not?"

"True."

"Anyway, it's probably nothing. Maybe she's having a baby,"he suggests.

"Courtney's not pregnant,"I tell him.

"It was just an idea."

"A far-fetched one."

"Whatever. Mo and I will come soon. Text me the address."

"'Kay."

"Smallbone?"

I stand up. "Here."

"You can see your wife now."

"Okay, thanks,"I tell her. To Joel I say, "Gotta go, mate. I can finally see her."

"'Kay, have fun."

"Bye."

I followed the nurse to the room Court was in. She stops at the door, and before we go inside, I ask, "What was wrong with her?"

"She had a baby."

"She couldn't-she wasn't-"

"I'm not kidding,"the nurse says, grinning. "See for yourself."

She pushes the door open and I step inside. There, lying on the bed, is my wife- holding a baby.

"Co?"I say.

She looks up. "I know it's crazy."

"How?"

"It was a cryptic or stealth pregnancy,"the nurse explains. "Even on an ultrasound, the baby won't be detected."

"Seriously?"

"Yup. And since Courtney had regular menstrual cycles and no symptoms of pregnancy, that's why you didn't...you know.."

"Think she could be pregnant?"

"Yeah."

I sit down on the bed. Coco hands me the-no, our-baby, a little boy. I gladly take him.

"Hey, buddy,"I murmur. "You're quite the surprise, huh?"

"Yes,"Court says happily.

Joel and Moriah chose that moment to burst into the room.

"How did you know?"I demand.

"Know what?"Joel asks.

"That Courtney had a baby."

"I didn't kn-what?"

"Here,"I say, offering the child to him. Moriah takes him instead.

"Hey, little one,"she coos. "You're adorable, and the best little surprise ever. I'm gonna be your favorite auntie- not Libby- and we'll have so much fun surprising your daddy and uncle."

Court laughs. "You're gonna be the second mother, huh?"

"Yup."

"What's his name?"Joel asks while trying to unsuccessfully steal the baby from his fiancee.

"We haven't decided yet,"Co tells him.

"Name him after me!"

"Why?"I ask.

"Because I thought Court could be having a baby. Also cause I'm awesome."

"How about Jude?"Courtney suggests, scrolling through her phone. "It means 'give thanks' or 'praise'. And it's somewhat close to Joel. It starts with a J."

"Perfect,"I say, kissing her cheek.

"And his middle name can be James, like Luke's."

"Seriously?"Joel says.

"Yup,"Coco says, staring him down. "You wanna fight?"

"Nope, he says quickly."

"That's what I thought."

I take Jude from my brother, kiss his forehead (Jude's, NOT MY BROTHER'S), and whisper, "I love you, little buddy."