How They Met: Luke & Courtney

"Everyone, this is Courtney,"Mrs. Helm announced.

"Hello, Courtney," Mrs. Smallbone said, smiling at the little girl.

"H-hhi,"the four-year-old stammered.

"Don't be scared, Courtney,"Mrs. Helm said, smoothing her hair. "We're all friends."

The two women introduced Court to the rest of the Smallbone horde. Everyone was very nice and sweet to the little girl, which helped her calm down. Court had recently been rescued from an "unpleasant" family, so she was on edge, especially around the men.

Even sweet, six-year-old Luke.

Luke was one of the Smallbone's many boys. And ever since they'd moved from their native Australia, he'd been wanting a friend. So, as nervous as he was, he decided to strike up a conversation with Courtney, hoping she'd like him enough to play with him. Luke carefully walked up to the little girl, who was sitting on the couch, wrapped up in a big plaid blanket.

"Hi," Luke said to her.

"H-heyyyy..."Courtney replied nervously.

"Don't be scared,"he told her. "I won't hurt you like your parents."

She winced at the mention of her distressing makers.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay."

"Really?"

"Weally."

Luke smiled at her lisp, then wrapped his arms around Courtney. She stiffened, but sank into the hug and even gave Luke part of the blanket. They curled up together and eventually fell asleep. And that night, a friendship was born.