Trauma (definitely AU)

kgrace121, this is for you.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

All his life, Joel had felt like shit.

His father, for whatever reason, never wanted him. Only later did Joel find out that David wasn't his biological dad. His real dad had raped his mom and left her pregnant. No wonder he wasn't wanted.

His siblings got love. Both parents, family friends, and relatives doted on them, but more or less ignored him. Maybe they knew.

He was bullied. Friendless. Left to rot, basically. People humiliated him, did whatever they could to hurt him.

Joel started self-harming at 10. Cutting, burning his skin with his sister's hair straightener, whatever he could. He drank, smoked, and took little pills that made him feel better.
He became the rebellious teen.

Then he met two people that changed his life. Jared and Felicity were the youth pastors and only people that ever showed him love. Little by little, he began to trust them.

Then one night, they broke his trust-for them, for anyone-forever.

Years passed. He started a band with his brother, Luke. Music had been the one thing keeping Joel going, and since people liked Luke, he figured he might as well.

Then he met Moriah-at Luke's wedding, no less. Determined not to trust her, he figured she'd be one night and one night only. Two things stood in his way: her rudeness, and her purity.

They wound up writing a song, then getting married. But Joel's scars we're too deep, his fears too strong. He couldn't trust her, and Moriah couldn't help him. She pulled the plug on their marriage after six years of trying and failing to work things out.

Now she had everything: a lovely daughter, amazing friends, a successful band.

Joel, on the other hand, had no one. No friends. Family was just a bunch of people who hated him, since the divorce was his fault. The band guys barely acknowledged his existence. No one wanted him.

So Joel went in a drive. He took in the scenery. He listened to his favorite songs. He ate his favorite foods and drank. Then he went back "home".

He scrawled a note that said one thing and one thing only-

goodbye.

Joel emptied out the bottles-

and let himself rest.