Wedding Nightmare

Joel couldn't breathe when he saw her. In a gorgeous mermaid-style gown, her long black hair spiraling to her butt, and royal-worthy veil draping her body, she was everything and more. Then, about a foot before reaching him, she froze. They made eye contact before she spun in her heel and ran out. Her maid of honor raced after her. A few minutes later, she reappeared and announced that the wedding was off. Everyone else headed to the reception while Joel fled. He changed his clothes and went to a bar to drown his sorrows in scotch. 

Joel blinked multiple times before taking his place on the altar. The wind blew, but did little to make him feel better. Truthfully, Joel hadn't put much effort into the wedding-the location, decorations, his clothes. Though he should've. He didn't like his light grey outfit, or the fact that the Californian sun kept frying his head. 

He just wanted it to be over with so he could go to the hotel room and sleep. Not...that. 

He was exhausted. Last night, he'd stayed at his future in-laws' house with his guys and suffered enough teasing to make him want to call the wedding off. 

Let's hope Mo doesn't run away, too. 

It's okay, Joel, we'll take you to the bar. 

Second time's the charm, right? 

He'd gone to bed at 8,and softly sobbed for more than an hour. Joel hadn't realized how anxious and hurt he was. He'd then taken a hot shower and gone to sleep, hoping he felt-and looked- a lot better in the morning. 

Spoiler alert: He hadn't. His eyes were puffy and sore, which he'd told Tony were from a restless night. Luckily, that was easily fixed, thanks to Bianca. His nerves, however, weren't. He drank two Thermoses of tea, hoping to calm himself down, but he'd had to spike it for it to work better. 

   All that hard work was undone, however, when he heard the ladies talk at the venue. 

Mo, it's okay, if you wanna run, then do it. Joel's used to it. 

I don't think you should marry him. I mean... he's...just...I'm just worried. If you ever need to leave, I can help. 

Good luck. You're gonna need it. I mean, it's Joel, after all. 

It hurt more than Joel wanted it to. He'd sat down in one of the pews, lost in his painful thoughts. And in that moment, Joel had never felt so alone. 

So worthless. 

So unwanted. 

 But he'd carried through. Survived the wedding, bedroom, and everything else. 

Moriah didn't run. But that didn't make Joel feel much better. There were divorce jokes, baby jokes, Joel-sucks-so-much-jokes. 

He couldn't win. 

He never would. 

All Joel could do was survive it. 

So he did.