Chapter 19

Beep...beep...beep

"Serena?" I heard Edwards distant voice say as I took in a deep breath and my eyes flickered open. I was blinded by the brightness of the room before my eyes adjusted. I looked to my left and saw Edward sitting beside me on the bed as he reached his hand up and stroked my face. "Edward" I croaked, my voice hoarse.

I looked down at my body and saw my right arm was in a cast, my right thigh had multiple bandages around it and my left wrist was also bandaged. My mind quickly flashed to when James bit me, the familiar burning sensation causing me to shiver. "Where's my mom?" I asked as I looked around the room. "She's outside talking to Carlisle" Edward replied.

"I-Is James dead?" I said as I looked at him and Edward nodded. "Jasper, Emmett and Alice took care of it" Edward replied and I gave a sigh of relief before my thoughts ran to Bella. "Bella! Is she alive?!" I said as I went to sit up. "Hey, hey it's alright. She's alright. In the studio, she was knocked out but still breathing. Her leg was broken and she had a few cuts from the glass but other then that she's ok. Her mom and Christopher are with her" Edward replied and I nodded.

"I was so scared he killed her. What about Victoria?" I said. "She got away before we could find her" said Edward. "I thought I wasn't going to get to you in time" said Edward as he looked down. "For a second there, so did. I'm alive because of you Edward" I said as I reached forward grabbing his hand.

"No Serena, you're in here because of me. The worst part of it, I thought I wasn't going to be able to stop" said Edward, guilt lacing his voice. "But you did" I argued. "Serena, I don't want you to get hurt because of me anymore. I think it's best if we-""Edward don't you dare finish that sentence!" I said as tears filled my eyes.

"Y-You can't do this! You can't just leave me after everything we've gone through! I can't lose you" I said as the tears fell. "Shhh, I'm sorry. I'm not going anywhere" Edward said as he leaned forward caressing my cheek with his cool hand wiping away my tears. "Don't do that to me" I said before Edward kissed my forehead gently.

*A Few Days Later*

I held the front of my dress up as my mom zipped the back

I held the front of my dress up as my mom zipped the back. "There you are" she said and I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Tonight was the night of the school prom. I was excited to be going with Edward. My hair was curled and pulled into a side ponytail with a strand of hair around the hair tie.

"Stupid cast" I muttered as I looked at my arm which had a white cast up to my elbow. "You look beautiful bebita" said my mom as she placed her hands on my shoulders. I slipped on my matching blue heels before grabbing my shawl from the bed. My mom walked down stairs first before I followed behind where I saw Edward standing beside Carlos in his black and white tuxedo looking handsome as ever.

I stopped on the bottom step as he walked over to me. "Aside from this stupid thing, how do I look?" I joked as I looked at Edward and he smiled. "You look perfect" he replied before he grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips kissing it. I smiled before he opened the container holding my corsage and delicately pulled it out.

Edward slid the corsage onto my wrist and I smiled as I looked at the white rose. "Alright get close guys!" said mom as she held up the camera. Edward wrapped an arm around my waist helping me off the bottom step before we faced my mom. I placed one hand on his jest as he wrapped his arms around my waist. The camera flashed as my mom took the picture.

"Ok mi amore, let them go or they'll be late" said Carlos as my mom took three more photos. "Ok, ok. Have fun you two" said my mom. "I'll look after her Ms Fernandez" said Edward before we exited my house and walked to the driveway where his silver Volvo was waiting. Edward opened my door and I thanked him before sliding in.

Edward climbed into the drivers seat before we began to drive off. "You know, the only reason I said I wasn't coming to the prom weeks ago was because I was scared to see you with someone else" I said to Edward as I looked at him. He gave me a quick glance before taking my hand in his. "Serena, the moment I laid eyes on you, no one else mattered in my eyes" Edward replied as he stroked my hand with his thumb and I felt my face go red as I blushed.

After a short while, we arrived at the prom where students had flooded the car park. Edward let me out before he walked off to park his car. "Serena" I heard someones say and turned to see Bella walking over to me, her arm looped through Christopher's as he helped her. "Christopher, Bella, hey" I said as I stood up to greet the both of them.

"You look very dashing Christopher" I said as he stood in his white and black tuxedo. "Thank you Serena. You look very nice yourself. Where's Edward?" He asked. "Parking the car" I replied. "There's Rosalie and Emmett. I'll be right back" said Christopher before he walked over to Rosalie and Emmett. Bella sat down on the bench and I sat beside her.

"Bella, I don't think I've ever seen you so dressed up" I said and she gave a chuckle. "Don't expect it to be a regular thing. Chris nagged me for days to come and Alice gave me like ten dresses to try on. This was the least...extravagant" said Bella as she looked down and I giggled. "Bella" A voice called and we both turned to see that Jacob guy from the beach standing behind us.

"I'm gonna go find Edward" I said before standing up. As I did, I saw Edward approaching and I met him half way. "Who's that?" Edward asked as he looked over at Bella and Jacob. "Just one of Bella's friends" I replied and he nodded before he wrapped his arm around my waist as we walked to the entrance. We approached a lit up arch and stopped for the photo before entering the lodge where there was music blaring.

"Holy crap" I said as I looked at the crowd of students. As Edward and I made our way through, I saw Jess and Mike posing for photos. My eyes widened at Jessica and her dress that left little to the imagination. "Wanna go outside?" Edward said into my ear and I nodded. He lead me through the crowd and we made our way outside to a gazebo that was lit up with fairy lights.

There were two couples dancing as Edward and I joined them. Edward took my good hand in his as I rested my other one on his shoulder. His other arm slinked around my waist and we began to slowly way to the gentle music coming from inside. The two other couples left, leaving Edward and I the only ones outside.

"Edward, I have question" I said as I looked up at him. "And what might that be?" Edward asked as he looked at me. "That night in the ballet studio, if you hadn't made it to me in time and the venom had spread, would you still love me?" I said as I looked up at him. Edward stopped our dance as he looked at me, his eyebrows furrowed together.

"Would I still love you? Serena, do you not understand the love I have for you? You are my everything. My heart outside my body. My world. I would love you no matter what" Edward said. "Then why didn't you let it happen?" I questioned as we resumed our dancing. "Because that's no how it's supposed to be" Edward replied.

"Edward, one day, maybe not today, or tomorrow, but one day I am going to be like you. I'm going to be a vampire. Bella told me Alice saw us as you guys" I argued. "Her visions change""Based on what the person decides" I said. "Don't you want to spend forever with me?" I said as I looked at him.

"Of course I want to spend forever with you. But I don't want you to become a monster. You deserve to live a normal happy, healthy, human life. I want you to live" Edward replied. "Say I live a human life like you want, what if there's another James situation. What if Victoria comes after me and manages to kill me? Then what? I'll be dead and you'd be alone" I said and Edward remained silent.

"Edward, when will you change me?" I asked. "I'll make you a deal. I will change you yourself, if you agree to marry me" said Edward. "We're both still in high school though" I replied. "I know" Edward replied. "I don't know if I'm ready for marriage yet" I replied. "Serena, lets just talk about this another day and just enjoy this night?" Edward said as he caressed my cheek. I nodded and Edward pulled me closer to him, my head resting on his chest as we slowly swayed in a peaceful, comfortable silence.