Chapter 79

The snow crunched under my feet as we all walked into the clearing

The snow crunched under my feet as we all walked into the clearing. Masen gripped my hand in his as he walked beside Colette who was holding onto Edward's hand. I could feel his racing heartbeat causing me to give his hand a gentle squeeze. As we walked, I turned to look at my mom who was walking beside me, her head held high in the air.

She turned to me and gave me a nod which I returned. We stopped near the centre of the clearing awaiting the Volturi. I heard Masen's breathing pick up and I looked down at him and Colette who looked panicked. "It's ok. It's going to be ok" I said quietly reassuring them before glancing up at Edward.

I turned my attention back to the woods ahead listening. Crunching snow sounded from the distance gaining everyone's attention. "The red coats are coming, the red coats are coming" I heard Garett say from behind me. After a few moments I saw black cloaked figures emerging from the woods, the line of them growing bigger and bigger.

I felt my eyes widen slightly at the size of the Volturi's guard. "Aro's looking for Alice" said Edward as they got closer, his eyes fixated on Aro. A howl from the distance came as the wolves descended from the trees. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jacob and Leah stop at Edward and I's sides; Leah to my left and Jacob to my right.

The Volturi came to a stop and moments of silence fell over the clearing, the only sound being the whistling of the wind. Carlisle walked forward from his place beside Esme and stopped a few feet ahead of us. "Aro" he said calmly as he looked ahead. "Let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilised manner" said Carlisle.

"Fair words Carlisle. But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us" Aro spoke. "I can assure you that was never my intent. No laws have been broken" Carlisle responded, his demeanour remaining the same. "We see the children. Do not treat us as fools!" said Caius; a look of disgust on his face.

"They're not immortal! These witnesses can attest to that or you can look. See the flesh of human blood in their cheeks" said Carlisle as he turned motioning to Colette and Masen. "Artifice!" Caius snapped. "I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story. Edward as the children cling to your newborn mate. I assume you are involved" said Aro as he walked forward extending his hand out.

Edward turned to Masen and Colette giving them a reassuring smile before looking up at me. He turned and walked forward, approaching Aro. As he did so, Jacob stepped closer causing Colette to wrap her free arm around his leg half hiding herself. Masen moved to the other side of me and Leah stepped closer to him.

Edward stopped in front of Aro and I watched as he placed his hand in Aro's hand. After a few moments of silence Aro looked behind Edward in our direction. "I'd like to meet them" I heard him say causing anger to build in my chest. Edward turned and looked at me before he gave a small nod. I turned to Masen and Colette gently squeezing their hands as we walked forward, Leah and Jacob by their sides.

As we walked across the clearing getting closer to Aro, I could feel Masen and Colette's hearts racing. We came to a stop in front of Aro and I felt the glare come onto my face as I looked at him. "Ahh Serena. Immortality becomes you finally" said Aro as he looked at me, a sense of awe in his voice. Aro turned his attention to Colette and Masen when he suddenly let out a laugh as he motioned to them.

"I hear their strange heartbeats" He said as he looked from them to Edward and I. "Let's start with you piccolo" said Aro as he turned to Masen, his hand outstretched. Edward gave Masen a nod as he looked up at him before he stepped forward. Masen placed his hand into Aro's and I watched as Aro's face contorted into a look of confusion.

"I see nothing" said Aro as he looked to Edward and I. "He is gifted with the ability to weaken someone's gift. Because he is still young he does not know how to control it" Edward explained as he looked at Aro. "Intriguing. How about you my dear?" Said Aro as he turned to Colette. "Hello Aro" she spoke softly as she approached him.

Aro held his hand out and Colette looked at it before simply looking into Aro's eyes. His eyes clouded over and a look of astonishment crossed his features. "Magnifico..." Aro whispered after a few moments before he turned to the Volturi. I reached forward and gently pulled Colette back. I watched as Masen grabbed onto her hand and turned my attention back to Aro.

"Half mortal. Half immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn while she was still human" said Aro. "Impossible" Caius said from behind him as he glared at us. "Do you think they fooled me brother?" Aro said as he turned to him. The six of us turned and began walking back as Jacob growled at the Voltrui before he followed in suit.

"Bring the informer forward" I heard Caius say as we walked. "Are those the children you saw?" He asked and we all turned back looking at Irina. " I-I'm not sure" she said as she averted her eyes to the ground. "Jane..." "They've changed! These children are bigger" said Irina as she looked at Caius. "Then your allegations were false" said Caius as he glared at her.

"The Cullen's are innocent. I take full responsibility for my mistake...I'm sorry" said Irina as she turned to us. I saw one of the guards light a torch as a small group of them approached Irina. "Caius no!" Edward exclaimed. "Don't look!" I said as I turned hugging Colette and Masen to me, blocking their ears as best I could.

I watched in horror as Irina's arms were ripped off before Felix ripped off her head, her corpse falling to the ground before she was lit on fire. "IRINA!" Kate and Tanya screamed as they charged forward. Rosalie, Emmett, Garrett, Carlisle and Eleazar attempted to stop them from attacking. As they ran forward, I turned and shot a small ball of energy at the two knocking them to the ground.

Emmett and Eleazar grabbed Tanya's arms stopping her from moving as she fought against them. Garrett held Kate in a bear hug before she began electrocuting them as she tried to get away. In the midst of the chaos I quickly placed Masen onto Leah and Colette onto Jacob. "Blind them!" Said Edward and Zafrina turned to the two of them. "Give my sight back!" Tanya snapped.

"Tanya this is what they want! If you attack now we'll all die" Edward said as he stood in front of her. After a few moments the two of them relaxed and Emmett and Eleazar let go of Tanya as Kate stayed in Garrett's arms. Edward walked across the snow heading back over to Colette, Masen and I when he suddenly fell to the ground groaning in pain.

"Edward!" I said as I stepped forward and looked up to see Jane. I suddenly saw the familiar sheen of Bella's shield as it surrounded us and turned to see her smirking. I watched as Jane's eyes scanned across before they fixated on Bella. Edward stood up from the ground and walked over to me. "Her shield is working" said Edward from beside me as he grabbed my hand.

Some of the Volturi stepped forward and I watched as Alec opened his hands, the black smoke coming out of them. I stepped forward slightly and watched at the red glow emitted from my hands getting bright and brighter as I felt my anger rise. Upon seeing this, Alec stepped back and I smirked as I stood beside Edward, the glow dying off.

"Aro you see there is no law broken here" said Carlisle. "Agreed. But does it then follow that there is no danger?" Said Aro as he walked forward. "For the first time in our history, humans pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable and we know nothing of what these children will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die tomorrow" said Aro as he faced his guard before he turned back to us.

I glared harshly at him and fought back the growl that was in my chest. Crunching of snow in the distance caught everyone's attention as we turned to the woods to see figures emerging. Aro gave a gasp of happiness as he turned in the direction of the figures. "Alice..." Edward breathed from beside me and I felt a small gasp escape my mouth.