Chapter 44

I rested my head on Edward's shoulder as I watched him play the piano

I rested my head on Edward's shoulder as I watched him play the piano. As he finished the song, I looked up at him and smiled. "I could sit here forever and listen to you play" I said and Edward gave a small smile before leaning down and pressing his lips to mine. He pulled away abruptly, turning his head towards the door and I looked in confusion. "What is it?" I asked.

"Something happened to Bella" said Edward and I immediately stood up before running out of the room. "Bella?" I called, my voice echoing throughout the house. "Bella?" I called and then she came into view as she sat down on the stool at the counter. "Are you ok?!" I exclaimed. "I'm fine Serena" she replied as Carlisle dug through his medical bag.

"What happened?" I asked as I looked at her swollen wrist. "Umm I was hanging out with Jacob and he...kissed me so I sort of punched him in the face and hurt my hand" said Bella and I gave a small gasp. "He kissed you?!" I exclaimed and Bella. I looked over at Christopher who looked furious. "He's lucky I didn't kill him" said Christopher.

"Chris!" Bella scolded quietly. "He touched you against your will and hurt you!" said Christopher. "I hurt myself thinking it was a good idea to punch him" said Bella. "Christopher, why don't you take 5 minutes to calm down?" said Carlisle. Chris abruptly turned and walked away. "It's just a sprain. Should heal fairly quickly" said Carlisle as he began wrapping Bella's wrist with a bandage.

"Trying to walk and chew gum at the same time again Bella?" Emmett joked as he walked over in to us. "I punched a werewolf in the face" Bella said smugly. "Badass. Hey Serena, Alice told you when you guys were in Volterra, you nearly took out the Volturi. You two are going to be some tough little newborns" Emmett said and I smiled.

"Tough enough to take you on" I replied before I heard the sound of a news paper being thrown. I turned and saw Rosalie leaving the room, walking outside to the balcony. "Don't worry about it" Emmett said looking at both of us. "I have had it up to here with her attitude" I said lowly you Edward. "Relax my love. Got any leads?" Edward said as he turned to Jasper.

"No sign of the intruder. But Victoria continues to make appearances" Jasper said as I walked towards the balcony door. I opened it stepping outside to see Rosalie looking into the woods. "Go blather to someone else about the joys of becoming a new born" Rosalie said bitterly. "No! You're going to listen to what I have to say whether you like it or not Rosalie because I've had enough!" I snapped and she turned to me, a dark glare in her eyes.

"I've known you for over a year now and in that time, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've spoken to you. What the hell have I done to have you treat me with such disrespect and to hate me?!" I snapped. "Hate? I don't hate you Serena. You have something that I envy you for. You have your mortality! I had mine stolen" said Rosalie.

"You envy me for my mortality? That is crazy" I said in confusion. "No it's not. You have a choice. I didn't. None of us did but you do and you're choosing wrong. I don't care how miserable your human life is" said Rosalie causing me to scoff. "You don't know the first thing about what I've gone through. My life isn't perfect, no ones is" I said.

"Mine was. Absolutely perfect" said Rosalie as she turned to look at the woods once more. "There were things I still wanted. To be married with a nice house and a husband to kiss me when he came home. A family of my own. And I thought I had found that in him" said Rosalie. "Royce King was the most eligible bachelor in town. I barely knew him but I was young. I was in love with the idea of love. On the last night of my life, I left a friends house late. I wasn't far from home when I heard someone call me name. I saw Royce and his work colleagues drinking in an alley way. He called me over and I approached him. I immediately knew he was drunk because I could smell the alcohol from a foot away from him. I can still remember that smell. A combination of whiskey and beer. He showed me off to his colleagues telling them how beautiful I was when one of his colleagues said "it's hard to say with all those clothes on". Royce tried removing my coat and shirt but I managed to get out of his grip. I told him I would see him in the morning, sober and began to walk away from them when he grabbed me. I tried so hard to fight against them but it was no use. They were too strong and they out numbered me. They used me like some toy, one by one and beat me near to death. They left me in the street thinking I was dead. Believe me, I wanted to be. Carlisle found me, he smelled all the blood. I thought he was helping me. After Carlisle had changed me, I used my new abilities to my...advantage so to speak. I got my revenge on them. One at a time. Saved Royce for last so he'd know I was coming. To make it a little more personal, I dawned the dress I was going to wear on our wedding day. I was a little theatrical back then" said Rosalie before she paused.

"Things got better after I found Emmett. But we'll always be this. Frozen. Never moving forward. That's what I miss the most. Possibilities. Sitting on a front porch somewhere, Emmett grey haired by my side, surrounded by our grandchildren. Their laughter " said Rosalie.

"I went through something similar. I was 15 and drunk at a party. I was talking to one guy when he took me up to a bedroom. We began to make out when his friend entered the room. I wanted to leave but they pinned me to the bed. While one held me down, the other ripped my clothing off. I screamed, I fought, I tried to get away but it was no use. They didn't rape me because they didn't want to leave any DNA behind but they violated me with...other things" I said as I wiped a fallen tear.

"I'm sorry for what you went through Rosalie. I really am. No one deserves to go through that. But you have something so many humans would kill for. There are people suffering from disease or illness. There are people suffering with cystic fibrosis or dying of cancer and they would give their left arm just to have what you have. A second chance at life. Though the circumstances on which you were changed were horrific, if it wasn't for Carlisle changing you, you wouldn't have found Emmett. You wouldn't have met Alice and Esme. You got a second chance at life and you're not grateful for it. Instead you resent it. The fact that you never have to face the fear of eventually dying one day or contracting an illness that will debilitate you and take away your meaning of life or suffer a horrific accident that leaves you paralysed or mentally disabled. Instead, you get to spend eternity with the love of your life and your family but thats not good enough for you? Is nothing ever good enough for you?! My sister deserved to have a second chance at life and not die at the young age of 14! If she had that chance she would still be here with me right now! But she wasn't that lucky!" I cried, the anger building in my chest.

"You don't understa-""Don't tell me what I do and don't understand Rosalie! I've had enough of this life and I'm ready to start a new one with my mom and the love of my life and if that offends you then I'm sorry but that's your issue not mine. You need to be more grateful for what you have Rosalie" I spat before walking inside, shutting the door behind me.