Chapter 40

I heard the familiar beep of Edward's Volvo out the front of my house and I grabbed my bag off of my bed before walking downstairs to the front door. "Bye mom I'll see you after school" I replied as I walked out the front door. I closed it behind me and walked to Edward who opened the passenger door. I smiled before stepping in front of him and wrapping my arms around him.

"I missed you" I whispered as I felt him slowly wrap his arms around me. "I missed you more" he replied before I pulled away. I gave him another smile before climbing into the car before he closed the door and walked around to the drivers side. He climbed in as I clicked my seatbelt on and started up the car. "How was the trip?" said Edward as we began the drive to school.

"It was so much fun. I really enjoyed it a lot. My mom and I haven't had fun like that in forever" I replied and he smiled. "That's good. I'm glad you were able to get away from Forks and relax" said Edward. "Yeah. How was it down here?" I asked. "Same as always. The only change was a slight drop in the weather but other then that everything was the same" said Edward as I looked at him.

"Did uh Alice make that sale on time?" I asked and watched Edward stiffen slightly as he cleared his throat. "I think she did" said Edward and I squinted my eyes at him. "There's something you're not telling me" I said. "No there's not" said Edward. "If you don't tell me, I'll find out another way" I replied and Edward sighed not saying another word.

We arrived at school and I climbed out of Edward's car and looked around the carpark where I saw Bella in Christophers car talking with him. "Bella's back from Arizona" I said as I turned to Edward only to see his eyes fixated ahead of him. I turned and saw who he was looking at and saw who I recognised to be Jacob Black standing in the parking lot in front of his bike.

I watched as Bella and Christopher approached him, Edward following. "Edward wait!" I said as we approached him. He began making his way over to the four us, meeting us half way. "Hey" Bella said as we stopped in front of him. Jacob had a look of disgust on his face as he looked at us.

"Charlie said you left town" said Jacob, bluntly as he stared at Bella. "Yeah to visit my mom, why?" Bella questioned. "He's checking to see if you're still human" Edward said with a fake smile. "Look, I'm here to warn you" said Jacob as he approached Edward and Christopher. "Spit it out mutt" Christopher snapped. "Chris" Bella breathed.

"If your kind ever come on our land again" Jacob said stepping forward causing Christopher to do the same. "Whoah Jacob! Calm down. What is going on?" I asked. "You didn't tell them?" Jacob said as he looked between Christopher and Edward. "Just leave it alone Jacob" said Edward as he glared at him.

"Tell us what?" Bella said as she turned to Jacob. "Emmett and Paul had a misunderstanding. It's nothing to worry about" Edward explained and I turned to Edward in confusion. "Listen to you. Did you lie to get her out of town too?" Jacob spat as he turned to Christopher. "You should leave. Now" Christopher said as he got in Jacob's face.

"They have a right to know. They're the ones the redhead wants" Jacob said and I gasped before turning to Edward. "Victoria?!" Bella said in disbelief."Alice vision! That's what she saw! You lied to me! I-I asked you several times what was going on and you lied to me!" I snapped angrily as I looked up at him.

"Serena I had to-""No Edward! How could you?! Victoria was in the area and you didn't even think to tell me?!" I snapped angrily and he sighed. I shook my head before stalking into the school. "Serena please listen to me!" Edward pleaded. "Why should I huh? Why should I do something for you when you couldn't even tell me the god damn truth?!" I exclaimed.

I felt him grab my wrist and I snatched it from his grasp. "Let go of me!" I snapped as I glared at him. "Serena I wanted to protect you! I didn't want to lie to you but I knew that you'd be worrying when you were away on your trip" said Edward. "Wait a minute! Did you organise that trip for my mom and I?!" I snapped and he went silent.

"She wanted to protect you as well Serena. She wanted to keep you safe and didn't want you to stress" said Edward. "Have you not learned anything from these last few weeks?! The last time you lied to me, you disappeared for 6 months!" I exclaimed. "I know and I'm sorry Serena. My biggest priority is keeping you safe!" Edward said as he looked at me.

"By lying to me? You're currently trying to gain my trust back and instead you're making it even worse" I replied and Edward sighed. "I'm so sorry Serena. I promise from now on, I won't lie to you anymore" said Edward as he grabbed my hands in his.