Chapter 23

The days soon turned to weeks since Edward's departure from Forks

The days soon turned to weeks since Edward's departure from Forks. I tried my hardest to remain strong and not dwell on his absence but it was hard, especially at night. I toss and turn all night trying not to sleep because when I sleep, I see him and when I see him, it breaks me that little bit more.

Judging by Bella's appearance at school, she wasn't doing much better then I was. She didn't sit with our friends, she was very quiet and kept to herself always deep in thought. Her skin was beginning to look paler then usual and she had dark bags under her eyes due to a lack of sleep. "Serena?" said Angela, pulling me out of my thoughts as I looked at Bella.

"Yeah?" I said as I turned to her. "I asked if you had finished the history homework yet?" Angela asked. "Oh uh almost" I replied as I sat up in my chair. "Are you ok? You look you know, out of it. Have you been sleeping alright?" Angela said quietly as she shuffled closer to me. "Yeah. Just stressing about homework is all" I brushed off as I gave her a convincing smile and she nodded.

"Ok. Well if you need any help with homework or just someone to talk to, I'm here" said a Angela as she placed her hand on my leg and I nodded. She smiled before turning back to Jess and I sighed.

Later that day once school finished, I was laying in my bed staring aimlessly out of the window whilst hugging one of my pillows. My eyes glanced over at the photo of Charlotte and I. We had our arms wrapped around each other on our first day of freshman year. I reached over and grabbed the photo frame. I felt my eyes sting as I looked at her.

"I need you now Char" I said as I touched her face. I placed the photo back before a knock at the door sounded. "Mi Amore, your dinner is ready" said my mom as my door opened. "I'm not hungry" I replied as I looked over my shoulder at her. "Serena. You didn't eat breakfast this morning, and now you're not hungry for dinner? This isn't healthy" said my mom as she walked over to my bed, standing at the end of it.

"I'm just not hungry mom" I said once more. She sighed as she sat down at my feet. "Baby, I know it's hard. Heart break is the worst. In a way, it's a form of grieving because you've lost someone you love so much. And I know how much you loved him" said my mom as she placed her hand on my leg.

"You can't keep all your problems bottled up Serena. That's when it begins taking a physical toll on your body like it is now. You're not sleeping properly, you're not eating right. You can get very sick. I've already lost one daughter, I'm not prepared to lose another" said my mom as she stroked my leg.

"I just...I don't understand how he could just leave me like that. Like I didn't matter to him. Like what we had just didn't matter. After everything we went through with James, I thought we'd make it through anything and he promised he'd never leave me again. I've tried so hard to be strong and not let it affect me but it's so hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember" I choked as I sat up, the tears building up in my eyes. "I know bebita" said my mom as she grabbed my hands.

"I don't know how I'll ever love again after he hurt me like that" I sobbed as the tears fell from my eyes. My mom pulled me into her and I laid in her lap crying as she held me. "Let it out. You can cry as long and as hard as you need to Serena. You deserve much more then that and you deserve to be treated better then that. He is just a heartless coward who lost the best thing that ever happened to him" said my mom as she ran her hands through my hair.

Esme's P.O.V

I stood up from the dear I had just killed and wiped my mouth. "Ready to head home my love?" said Carlisle as he appeared at my side and I nodded. We began walking through the forest to our new home. "I hate when we have to leave Forks. It's such a lovely town" I said as Carlisle held my hand in his. "I know. Me too" he replied as we walked.

"I feel so bad for Bella and Serena. They must be so hurt right now" I said as I shook my head. I couldn't imagine the pain I would feel if Carlisle walked away from me. I didn't want to imagine it. "It was Edward and Christopher's choice. They only want to do what is best for Serena and Bella" said Carlisle. "But is it the best thing? All four of them are hurting the same" I argued.

"There's nothing we can do. We can't force them to go back to Forks if they do not wish to do it on their own accord" said Carlisle. I sighed as we made it to the house and walked in. Alice was sat on the sofa with her computer in her lap as she did some online shopping. I heard some yelling coming from Emmett and Rosalie's room letting me know Emmett was playing his video game.

Jasper was reading beside Alice and Edward was sat in a chair by the window staring out of it aimlessly. "I have emails to attend to" said Carlisle before he kissed my temple and walked down the hallway. I approached Edward and saw him holding some sort of chain in his hand as he looked out. "Edward, how long has it been since you've hunted?" I asked as I crossed my arms. "I'm fine Esme" he muttered quietly.

"Ok" I whispered before walking away. He had sat there for weeks. I felt so helpless. I loved all of the children like my own and like any mother, when your child is in pain, all you want to do is take it all away so they're not hurting anymore.