27. Maddie

Many thoughts were inside my mind. How did I not recognize him at first? But most importantly, how did he even agree to work with me after knowing who I am. What kind of game are you playing Evan?

I call my assistant asking her about the matter. She seems very tense and tells me there's an emergency. I reach my office and everyone looks really stressed. Just then, the HR and my assistant come and tell me what has happened.

" miss Maddie has been in a car accident and her condition isn't good according to the doctor. We must visit her right now".

I get tensed. Without further delay we quickly go to the city hospital.

Scared... Thats what I  felt. Only yesterday we were talking like good old friends and now this happened. I was on the verge of crying. But I had to be strong. Maddie meant a lot to me. She was always there for me since we met. Now seeing her covered in bandages and tubes makes my heart shatter into pieces.
Without knowing, few tears left my eyes.

The door opened and the doctor came out. I immediately started throwing questions after questions. Half of it not understanding myself. Seeing her condition, she seems to be in danger.
The doctor and my assistant told me to calm down.

" she is taking rest now, no need to worry miss."
I sighed in relief after listening to these words.

" But she is currently very weak and can rely on machines. Also, she was not coming for regular checkups"

" what are you talking about sir. She has other conditions? , but she was fine all this time" I ask. Worry filling my mind.

" Yes. She is a heart patient. And after checking her, she seems really weak. She isn't in a stable condition now. And it is unpredictable, not sure how much time is left for her to live".
I again broke down in tears.

" I think you should inform her family members about it". The doctor said and took his leave.
She had no family other than her son, but they rarely met. She told me their bond was very strong.... Before a bad incident took place.
She never told me about her problems. But she is such a sweetheart.
I knew nothing about her son. How to contact him. I was thinking about this when suddenly a nurse came and told me Maddie wants to see me. I was so happy knowing Maddie is OK now.
I quickly went inside the room and sat beside her bed and started crying my eyes out.
" You know I was so worried about you.... I was so worried that I even started thinking you will leave us all..."

"Ssh my child.. I am here now. You don't have to worry. Its just a car accident and now see.. I am fit" she gave a bright smile and did some small exercise to light up my mood. Seriously.. This lady. She needs rest now but instead, she is trying to light up my mood. I never knew she cared for me this much.

" The doctor told me you have a heart problem. Why didn't you tell us about it"
She sighed loudly and a sad expression covered her face.

" I didn't want to worry you all. Honestly, I don't want to live for longer. Old age isn't really a good thing. We have a lot of problems, a lot of health issues. And I didn't want to go through any of that. But this heart problem, this is not what I expected.... I know I don't have much time to live. I don't have any family. My son, he is only one I have. I don't want to be burden on anyone. Knowing you, you are the best one who is handling this company. Almost everything is good now. There's no use of me living " a tear left her eyes.

I felt so bad then. Under her bright smiles, joyful personality, encouraging words, she was this broken women. I couldn't do anything. She wants to give up. But I won't let that happen. She is too precious to lose.

" Stop saying that. How can you even think about that. I am here with you, we all are... Please don't say that ever again." I held her hand and kissed it softly.

She smiled and we talked about random stuffs to cheer her. I told her about today's incident when I came to know that Mr. Handsome is Evan. Not telling the whole story between us, because the old memories will come back.

I went home in the evening after making sure Maddie is safe.
The day was very tiring and sad.