29. Last Wish

" what last wish are you talking about. Let me guess... Getting your son married. Isn't it? Isn't it?????" I smirked slightly. Maddie laughed out loud.

" yeah why. Will you agree marrying him?" this time, she smirked. What a clever women. " just joking lena.... But honestly tell me, why don't you try to be with other men.. Or women. You try different people. Don't give up"

" I don't know what to say. He betrayed me twice. And I don't think I need anyone. Maybe have a child. But I cannot handle another heartbreak. It's too tough"

She held my hand and said. " this world is cruel elena. Not everyone is trustworthy. But that doesn't mean you won't try." *sigh* " depends on you. How much I wish you find a good man, don't end up like me. Don't be lonely"  she had a small smile on her lips.

I smiled back at her. " I will see. Maybe, my life will take a different turn"

" I have always loved you lena. You are a very sweet women, very hard to find. I wish I had you as my daughter in law. But I cannot stop you." she suddenly spoke up

I looked shocked. She wanted me as her daughter in law. I.... Was speechless.

" Dont worry lena. This is your life and it's your choice. Your father and I are very good friends since school. He was the one who helped me reach my goal, not to forget your mom. We had a good relation, we often joked how our kids will marry each other. But deep down, I wanted it to be true. Their first child,.. You and my son. But look how life has its own wish. Even if I wanted to.. I cannot. The reason why we met, because I wanted to know you..... It's not the time to talk about that " she wiped her tears and flashed a small sad smile.

I was still processing it all. I did not know what to say. We sat in silence. Until she spoke again.
" I shouldn't have said that. Don't worry. I just could not hide it anymore. You are a very good person. Don't get me wrong. Atleast not now, when I have to leave you forever"

" what are you saying Maddie. I am still trying to take in what you told me. Atleast give me time to think. You cannot leave me that easily. You have to see the person who your son chooses to live with"

She chuckled lightly and looked at me in the eyes. " even I thought so. My son is different. I have never seen him with any women. Either he doesn't want to open up to me, or there is no one. I hope he finds his happiness too....

Just as she was about  to speak further, the door opened and the doctor walked in with a man beside him.
My eyes widened as I quickly recognized him. Evan. But what is he doing here.

" How are you feeling Miss Horison. I need to do some checkup.. Also, your son is here. If there is any problem, call me" after saying that, he left..

Now there were only three of us. I still can't believe, Evan,.. Maddie's son. But how can it be. She is such an angel whereas he..
We looked at each other for sometime. Him, gazing intensely at me. As if trying to say something. No sign of disgust which he used to give me before in school , but no ounce of warmth which he gave me yesterday in his office.

" ahem.. Ahem. So son. Long time no see" Maddie broke the awkward silence.

Evan sighed and sat on the bed. Very close to me, our knees almost touching. " As soon as I came to know about it, I came. You... How.. How did this happen"

The way he was stuttering, gave away what he felt. For the first time I saw Evan being scared of loosing someone.

" Just a small accident buddy.. Dont worry. However there is something I need to tell you" she glanced at me and I nodded, understanding her intentions.

" I don't think.. I will live for much time. I wanted to tell you sooner but you were busy with your work and I didn't want to worry you..... I have a heart disease. Doctors say I am very weak... And.." she trailed off.

Evan hugged her mother tightly " Don't worry mom, we will find the best doctors.  You will be fine and be your cheerful self again "
I could see his eyes filling up with tears. I couldn't help but feel the same. For now, I forgot what the relation between me and Evan was. Just seeing this little interaction between a mother and son, was enough to bring me in tears.

" As much time I have left, I want to spend with you and Lena. Right" she looked at me and asked.

" Y-yes. You are right" I smiled weekly.
I heard my phone ringing. " I think it's something important. I will be outside" they nodded and I went out of the room, not to disturb the duo.

Frowning I looked at my phone , getting a call from dad.
" Hey dad, How-
He cut me off saying" Lena, your mom and I are coming to New York. I know about Maddie's condition. "

" oh-ok. I will see you in the airport then "
" it's ok. We will see you at your home " and I hung up.

I looked inside Maddie's room. Evan is telling her about something. She looks really happy. I am happy too. After all she said, Evan is very close to her. I open the door and took my seat next to her bed.

" it's almost evening. Didn't realize it's already late. Lena, I think you should go. Evan can drop you off"

" No it's ok Maddie. You guys need to catch up. And I will be ok on my own. Also, dad called me and said he is coming. I need to go  home" I smiled at her.

" OK then. Visit me soon with your delicious food" she waved at me. I chuckled and left after glancing at Evan, who was already looking at me.. A small smile on his lips. I returned that smile.
I can't hold on to past anymore.