4. Date Night

I heard some sound and woke up suddenly. Groaning I turned my head and snoozed my alarm clock. I got from the bed and rushed to the bathroom. For sure I am late. Which is unusual.
Whatever lena, it's not time to find the mystery behind your late ass. I jogged down the stairs and saw an usual Ali with her iconic smirk.
Yup sis, you gonna taunt me for being late. She showed  me her watch indicating I am late and I let out a sigh.
As soon as I reached school, I again bumped into someone. These days accidents are happening more often. And my embarrassment level is increasing. And as expected, it was Evan.
But something changed. He looked sad. And soon, that sorrow was replaced with a disgusted look.
" watch where you are going bear, never see you". In response, I showed him my middle finger but did not wait for his reaction.
It pained me that someone hated me so much, giving me weird and disgusted look. But as usual I dismissed my thoughts.

I felt a hand on my waist and saw Alex. He pulled me to his side and kissed me on the cheek. Well... Improvement. He never had this reaction towards me. I felt butterflies fluttering inside my stomach. The way he looked at me had changed.

We went to our class while talking to each other. We were talking about anything and everything at the same time. And me being me, did not pay attention to the class.

At lunch time I waited for Alex to come from his football practice. He worked a lot. He always wanted to be a quarterback at school level. And I know he is not taking it seriously. He just wants fun and build his body, so I was definitely not complaining.

He came inside the canteen and sat beside me. He looked so sweaty but so perfect. We looked at each other for sometime, until someone cleared their throat. I looked around and saw all my friends eyes on us. Aubry as usual was smiling widely and I smiled back.

" so, ahem.., we talked about the restaurant right. Do you want to come. It's fun. I heard we have some of my favorite dishes. You know I always wanted to try eating here."
He looked at me with hopeful eyes.

Now, how can I say no when the opportunity is served to me on a golden plate.

" yep, I will be ready. Around 7. I know you need rest. And even i will have sometime to finish my work. What say? "

" great "..

At 6pm

I was feeling confident will be stupid word to describe my situation. I was freaking out. Never in life I have been this nervous . I tried calling Aubry but she did not lift my phone. Not surprised at all.
I just found a beautiful little purple dress which has cold shoulder sleeves and ends just above my knees. It feels super comfy,at the same time looks beautiful from outside.
I did not do any heavy makeup because I will most likely ruin it.
I let my hair to a side and yup, I was done.
He did not say it's exclusively a date. It's sometimes hard to understand him. Yes i wanted to make an impression, but did not want to seem desperate. Which I was.

Just 15 minutes left. He could be here anytime.
" elena dear, you look pretty. Going out somewhere" my mother came near me and kissed me on cheek.

"yes mom, Alex asked me out. So.. Tell me this looks good right. Did I overdo." my voice was shaking.

Mom laughed a little and said I look the best. I heard a car honk and kissed her good bye. Seeing his car, my heartbeat accelerated. I went inside his car, but seeing him in just a casual shirt and jeans made me a little upset. I expected something more. But he did not look bad either.
He smiled at me and said " either you are overdressed or I am underdressed"
I started feeling uneasy then. He grabbed my hand and told me not to worry. This date is only arranged so that we can enjoy food and talk to each other. Morever he knew I loved to dress up.
But he did not even compliment me. That's what usually guys do right. Say good nothings.

We reached the restaurant and honestly, it looked so beautiful. It was cosy at the same time very elegant. Slowly I started feeling good. Talking to Alex always felt good. He understood me in many ways. We talked a lot. He told me he wants to be a lawyer just like his father. But his decisions aren't stable now so he is going with the flow. Everything about him is good.

Alex was driving so he did not drink much. But he was deep in thought.
" lena, vira wasn't always Clingy" and this caught me off guard. Why did he suddenly start talking about his ex.

"so how did you feel with her" I decided to play along.
"I felt good but, she was very possessive. I thought she needed some help. You know I am not interested in committing. But I still liked her. Now when I look back, I realised that being with her was not a good idea"..

He still cared about her. I felt very jealous then. But he wasn't wrong. Vira has always been a very possessive kind of girl. Her all past relationships have been toxic. And recent one with Alex wasn't good either.
Alex only did one-night stands. He never wanted to commit. He wanted to enjoy. But being with vira taught him about some responsibilities.

I always dreamt about him and me being together. And I am very happy we took this step.

After dinner we finally reached my home.
" Alex, thank you for inviting me. I loved enjoying my time with you"

"  I just like spending time with you elena. You are my friend, and it is nothing special" irritating. I felt irritating.
He did not have to mention this friend word.

We looked at each other for sometime. And I went home.
Though we did not kiss today, did not mean it will not be possible in the  future..

You will see Alex, you will love me to the core.