Part 49: Just Gone

Almost the whole walk home, Bree kept a few paces ahead of Jeremy and Elena and refused to talk to either one of them. She was teary eyed for most of it and the couple of times they tried to console her she would pull away and jog ahead, letting it be known that she wasn't ready to talk to them yet. She had absolutely nothing nice to say and she wanted a moment to digest her feelings before lashing out like she wanted to. 

She was lied to. Blatantly, to her face, lied to by the only people in this world who were suppose to always be in her corner. She felt so betrayed and upset that they kept Negan from her for so long, knowing that he was the love of her life. All those times that she cried or would vent to them about how much she missed him, they never thought once that it was in her best interest to let her know he was alive and well and so close by.

 She felt like an idiot that all this time went by and she never suspected a thing. 

She was beginning to feel like she wanted out. Out of the pack, out of this family, out of everything. She had more freedom when she was living under Negan at the Sanctuary and she was sick of Jeremy feeling like he knew what was best for her. Granted, there were a few years that she would even admit, she needed supervision and guidance but she really felt like she was past all of that now. She was so mad she could not look at any of them and she was wondering if Negan had been wrong when she said that she needed her family. 

Right now, all she really felt like she needed in this world was him. She should have ran away with him when she had the chance. There was a heavy regret that she felt, letting him talk her into going back. Even though he seemed so sure, she was now feeling like it was the wrong decision. 

After a few hours they had arrived back at their reserve. Bree was still a few paces ahead of Jeremy and Elena and was coming up to the clearing where their property was. All the sudden Clay jumped out in front of her in his wolf form and let out a low growl, giving Bree the impression that he was urging her to stay back. 

Bree looked down at him in confusion. 

"Clay?" She said his name, not sure why he was acting this way. His response was another low growl with a little more urgency as he stepped forward, as if herding her to move back. 

Bree backed up and flinched when she ran into Jeremy. He put a hand on her arm and looked at Clay seriously. 

"Something is wrong" Jeremy stated, knowing that something wasn't right with how he was acting. 

Bree had a bad feeling in her chest as Clay moved out of their path to go change so he could tell them why he didn't want them going further. 

As soon as he was back to  human, he grabbed a pair of pants he had stashed in the bushes and stood up. 

"We have visitors" He said as he made his way over. The rest of the pack had their eyes trained on him, waiting for the full report. He was talking quietly so Bree definitely got the impression that these visitors weren't exactly the friendly kind and it made her on edge. 

"I shifted to cover more ground and when I came back the house was surrounded. They look like walkers but there is no way they are. They are just standing there and they don't smell like them either." Clay stated. 

Jeremy and Elena dropped their gazes in frustration. 

"That is because they are not walkers, they are just people pretending to be. Michonne just warned us about them. Apparently they go by The Whisperers and they have been giving Alexandria trouble. Michonne said they would be knocking on our door next because apparently we are in what they consider as their turf" Jeremy explained.