Part 42: Change is Coming

"Well damn Rick, look at that!" Negan teased over the shrill sound of the infamous two-toned whistle that echoed all around them.

 "Pegged again and pegged so very hard."

They had Rick and the rest of the Alexandrian's completely surrounded and even though all of the Saviors were out of sight for the time being, Rick knew that this wasn't going to end well for them. All of Rick's people had their guns drawn and ready to fire as they scanned around the hilltop that surrounded them, trying to see where the attack was going to come from.

"I ambushed your ambush, with an even bigger ambush" Negan continued to taunt them over the radio he was using so they would hear him loud and clear.

Rick was starting to lose his patience. 

"How about you step out and face us!" Rick called out, still unsure of where his voice was coming from. 

"Ohh, I am everywhere Rick. Some more bullhorns, more walkies...Pick a direction to run, see how you do...Make it fun for all of us. Guess what else I did? I brought you some of your old friends." Negan went on.

Rick and his people kept turning in circles, anticipating whatever Negan was about to throw their way. 

"You remember your old buddy Eugene? Well he is the person that made today possible. Same goes for Dwighty boy here. In case you were wondering, he didn't ream you on purpose, no, he is just a gutless nothin' that sucks at life, and now he gets to stand up here and watch you all die and he's gonna live with that."

Dwight shifted his feet back and forth at Negan's words and Bree, who was standing maybe five feet away from him, let out a warning growl, almost daring him to try something. Negan smirked down at her and continued with his rant.

"Gabriel, well..." Negan started before cocking his gun and pointing it at the back of Gabriel's head. 

"...He's gotta go too. We are cleaning house today Rick! And then...There's you."

Negan sighed and his tone changed.

 "It never had to be a fight. You just had to accept how things are. So...Here we go, congratulations Rick."

As Negan put down his Radio and Bree could feel the atmosphere change almost immediately. She was picking up a wave of serious anxiety coming off of Eugene that made her more alert than ever. She picked up her head to study him and she saw him give Negan a nod of reassurance.

 Something felt off and Bree began to brace herself for whatever was about to come. She took a few steps to be closer to Negan.

There was a long eerie pause before Negan picked up his radio again. It was so quiet, Bree was able to hear birds chirping off in the distance.

 "Three" Negan started to count off. 

"Two."

A moment after Negan said 'two', the Saviors sprang into action, stepping forward to finally show themselves, to show Alexandria just how fucked they were. Bree too, walked to the edge and let out a fierce growl.

 Rick and his people were completely surrounded.

At that moment, they got a deep feeling of dread in the pit of their stomachs when they saw just what they were up against. Any thought of their previous plan had gone out the window. The feeling of defeat and guilt slowly started to hit Rick.

 What had he gotten his family into? With how many of them there were, he was not seeing a way out of this.

"One" Negan finally called out.