Part 6: Changes

Negan awoke to the sound of Bree crying out next to him. Assuming she was just having a bad dream he patted her on the back and told her to relax but jumped up when he felt her bones shifting under his hand. Throwing back the covers and turning on the light he quickly sat up. There was not much in this world that shook him up, but what was happening before his eyes made him go white.

Bree's back continued to crack and twist and it felt like her muscles were being stretched through a taffy puller. This was the most painful change she had ever experienced and it was even worse than the first time she had changed with her pack. It had been so long since she shifted, her body was no longer accustomed to the transformations and it lost the muscle memory. In the back of her mind, she wondered if she was even going to survive though it.

She stood up and ended up rolling off the bed while her legs were stretched out. She could feel the motion flow in a series of snaps and pops all the way to her toes and she rolled around and thrashed in agony. She backed up into the window pane, catching the curtain underneath her and ripping it off the wall, still howling in agony as the curtain cascaded over her, covering her completely.

Negan ran and grabbed Lucille and held her over his shoulder, ready to swing in an instant. He continued to watch the scene before him, wide-eyed and anticipating a potential attack, not knowing what was going on. This was unlike anything he had ever seen before and he didn't know what was happening. This was definitely no bad dream and he wondered if he should just put her out of her misery now but he was frozen in place, waiting to see what would happen next.

Bree felt like her skin was on fire as her fur gradually started to disappear and her howls and yelps were starting to sound more like her own voice. Finally, her body calmed and the snapping and stretching sensations ceased. She was in so much pain from the change she didn't want to move and her skin felt hot and sticky. She could feel her muscles still spasm and twitch but for the most part the change was complete.

Once she stopped moving, Negan's grip on Lucille tightened and he slowly began to stalk over to her with caution in every step. He had no clue what was going to be under those curtains and he felt his anxiety build as he got closer. Negan saw the fabric moving up and down from her breathing, signifying that she was alive. He held a very intense look in his eyes and he used the barbed ends of Lucille to catch the curtain and pull it off of her. 

What he saw underneath was the last thing he ever expected to see.

A girl? A human girl?

Bree flinched when the drape was pulled off. She was surprised to feel the movement of air on her skin and she looked up to lock eyes with a very disturbed Negan. He was sweating and his look was so intense that it chilled her sore bones. She looked down at the rest of her naked body and she couldn't believe it.

 She was finally human again!

She had wanted this for so long, she didn't think that there could be a right time or a wrong time for her change to happen. This was definitely the wrong time and even though it may not have been the worst place for it to happen, it was certainly not around the right person.

Bree picked her hand up and examined it, tuning out Negan, she smiled at herself. She ran her hands up and down her torso still surprised that she made it though the most awful change of her life and was human again. She looked back up at Negan, still smiling and he was still speechless.

She made a motion to move but she began to feel very weak and dizzy as her body settled from everything that it was just put through. She tried to lift her body up but collapsed, feeling worn out and nauseous. Her face twisted in anguish and she tried to whimper but no sound came out. Black spots clouded her vision and the last thing she saw was Negan's toes before she passed out.

Negan continued to stare at her for a few moments after she nodded off, still unsure of what to make of everything that just happened. He glanced over at the half empty bottle of booze, wondering if someone laced it with something and this was just a bad trip. Still clutching Lucille, he nudged her over with his foot to get a better look at her and to see if she was really out.

From what he could see, she was beautiful. She had long dark hair and freckles with a little button nose. He couldn't help but look at the rest of her. She was on the smaller side, slender but with a full bust and Negan didn't understand how a girl her size could make a wolf as big as Ace was. 

...Ace...

He still couldn't figure out what happened there but he sure as hell was going to get to the bottom of this when she awoke. He walked over to his dresser and pulled out one of his white shirts and a pair of boxers. He walked over to her and gently lifted her body around to cover her up and then lifted her and set her on the bed. She was swimming in his clothes but they would work for now.

She didn't stir once as he laid her in the middle and then he went into his night stand and pulled out a pair of hand cuffs. He lifted both of her hands above her head and chained them to a bar on his head board. He stared at her again for a moment and shook his head back and forth, still not believing what just happened. He pulled up a chair next to his night stand and took another swig of the bottle and crossed his legs with Lucille on his lap. He then pulled out a pistol and set it on his nightstand next to him.

Lighting up a cigarette, he continued to watch her sleeping form, anticipating when she woke. He had no clue what she was but he was going to find out, one way or another....