Chapter Thirty Eight - Persephone

A soul?

Hades begins to step around me but before he does, he stops beside me.

"I wanted you to witness this part of what I do. You don't have to do anything, just observe."

He walks to the rug in the middle of the room and stands waiting as the torches continue to flare. As they increase suddenly, they return to normal and an elderly man is standing in front of Hades. The man appeared much like Hades does when he blinks in and out of existence.

The man doesn't speak right away but glances around taking in the room and then us.

Hades speaks first greeting him, "Hello Zephyr."

Zephyr blinks several times before his eyes focus on Hades. Hades stands taller than him so he has to look up. Finally, Zephyr speaks, his voice soft and timid but not wasting any time "Is this the afterlife?"

"Not quite" Hades answers "This is but a stopping point. However, your next destination is indeed the afterlife."

Zephyr nods in understanding and sighs what appears to be with relief. His hands stop gripping the front of his tunic and his arms now hang loosely at his side.

Hades doesn't approach him but remains where he is saying "You can rest now Zephyr, your fight is over."

Zephyr closes his eyes soaking in the words like they are the very air he needed just moments ago. Peace reflects from them when he reopens and holds Hades' gaze, "I'm ready."

"You will have no worries from this point on. I will protect you and watch over you. Your only concern is to enjoy your afterlife" Hades says and with Zephyrs smile he holds out his hand. Zephyrs form begins to flow and shimmer transforming into a bright bluish orb as he reaches across the space and takes his hand.

Hadesturns to me not saying anything but I know to follow as he walks up the stairs.Cerberus moves to the side at the sight of us coming down the corridor. Thehyper puppy nowhere to be seen. Instead, an ancient beast who has been throughthe process longer than I have been alive pays respect to the soul making itsfinal journey. Hades steps onto the platform surrounding the well. Reachingforward he deposits the orb into the liquid below. Upon hitting the liquidZephyrs face reappears briefly and joins the others swirling around withintheir stone walls. He was not safe to live out his eternity in whateverafterlife he chose.