Chapter Twelve - Hades

My shoulders slump as the weight of today's responsibilities rest upon them. Day after day, there is no pause from it all. With the rock corridors, I allow myself to just be with no pretense of being something more. Hiding what this role has taken from me is only another part of the overwhelming piece that is being the king of the Underworld.

A distance click joins mine along the stone floor. My shoulders straighten inevitably due to the presence of another. The façade that is the king swiftly slides into place as I continue toward my chambers. Once I get there, I can fully release this and be myself for that small moment in time that I am allowed.

"Sir."

Nilus' voice travels down the length of the corridor to me. My head hangs only the little that I permit and stop my steps. It's then that I here the uneven quality of his footsteps as he limps closer. I turn and begin walking toward him, I know his struggles and wish to ease them as much as I can. As I stop in front of him, his head automatically bows but he doesn't stay in the position. Slowly he rises, but he keeps his eyes downcast.

"Yes, Nilus?" I ask stuffing my hands in the pockets of my pants.

His hand extends, a small white envelope placed within "This came for you, sir."

My name in Demeter's handwriting marks the front. My breathing has ceased as I stare at that small insignificant piece of paper that contains news that could possibly change my existence. When I don't move to take it, Nilus lifts his eyes to my chin, not bringing them any higher "Sir?"

I blink clearing my mind and reach taking the delicate paper from his wrinkled hand, "Thank you, Nilus."

"You're welcome, sir. I will see you in the morning unless you need something from me?" he says his hands folded in front of him, waiting.

"No, I will see you in the morning," I dismiss him so that he can retire for the evening.

"Very well. Goodnight Sir," he bows once more before making his way slowly back down the corridor.

I turn and continue my way toward my chambers, my steps a little more hurried. The small piece of paper feels like iron in my hand, and each foot hits the stone, putting me a little closer each time. The weight of the door into my chambers has never concerned me before, but at this moment it feels as if triple its usual weight. Once it has closed behind me, I open my hand revealing the envelope. Gently I tear the glue sealing it and slide the fragile paper from its temporary home. Now released it opens slightly granting me visible to the words within.

Taking a deep breath, I assist it, pushing the ends apart I hold it in the bend. My eyes scan the short note in a matter of seconds. For the second time in my existence, my heartbeat increases causing a large number of unknown feelings to swirl within me.

She agreed. 

She's coming.