Chapter Thirty Two - Persephone

Today has been magical.

It's like nothing I have ever experienced before in my life. We spent the entire day on the island. Doing nothing in particular but just being outside. Breathing in the fresh air and feeling the sun on my skin was all I needed after all my recent time underground. I didn't realize how much I had missed it.

The water is warm from the sun's rays and soothes my skin the moment it touched. Waves lapping against me slowly and softly. The sun began to set some time ago, just a small piece of it remained. Small twinkles scattered across the sky as darkness spread wide and far.

"Hello, old friend," I say to the stars waking from their slumber. I missed them... this. My soul needed a recharge that only nature could provide. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" I ask as I stare upward watching the last remaining rays disappear from another day.

"Yes," Hades answers from beside me.

I tear my eyes from the sky encompassing the world around us. Tears blur my vision as this moment sinks in. My stars remain in place always constant and there when I need them. Silent observers, always ready to listen when needed. They occasionally fall though, but the masses stay guarding the night. I look toward Hades. He isn't looking at the sky as I am... he is staring at me.

Smiling I say "Thank you. This has been the best day of my life. I have never experienced anything like this before." I take a deep breath and try to convey my feelings in the best way possible "I needed this and didn't even realize it. Please don't take that differently than I intended. I have much enjoyed my time with you. It has nothing to do with unhappiness but there is something in here" I say touching my chest above my heart.

Hades stares at me, his eyes scanning my face. The heat returns, nothing I can do to extinguish it under his heavy gaze. I bite my lip as I watch his eyes churning with something unfamiliar to me. Silver eyes land on the place my teeth have my lip clasped. It's as if time has slowed, us along with it. I watch as he leans in closer but I'm not sure what is happening. His lips meet mine, eyes never leave my lip in their descent.

Softly his lips caress mine and the heat inside me explodes. What I had been experiencing was nothing but smoldering in comparison. I am now a flame, completely consumed. The kiss ends much quicker than I would have liked. Forever would have been preferable.

I try to catch my breath as we stare at one another. My chest heaves with an unknown emotion running rampant within me. I have to restrain myself from locking my arms around his neck and pulling his mouth back to mine.

"Best night ever," I say breathlessly as I hold his wild gaze.